+ Reply to Thread

Default Neighbor's Radon Pipe Pointed at My Windows!

I came home one day and noticed that my new neighbors have just installed a radon remediation pipe going up the side of their house. The problem is that it is directly across from my bathroom window. It is approximately 18-20 feet away. Is this safe for me and my family? I also have two dogs that stay in their dog run which is between our two houses. Is this safe for me and my family? Is it safe for my pets? If not, who regulates the installation of these? I live in Centennial (very close to Aurora) Colorado.
    Please provide any guidance! Thank you.

Default Re: Neighbor's Radon Pipe Pointed at My Windows!

The radon should fully dissipate once it is discharged into the outside air. Radon comes from the ground, not the air. I would not worry about it. It is the high concentration of radon in basements that should be monitored.

Thank you very much for your response. I was concerned because I didn't know if it would present health problems for my family since the pipe did not go all the way up to the roof, it just stopped in the middle of the side of their house.
    Thank you again,

I worked for an installer for a period of time, and we always ran the exhaust to the roof line, with the exhaust pointing TOWARD the roof of the house we mitigated (it had to be away from windwows, etc...). This was mandated in PA, and as a standard of practice.

Though radon is a gas, if improperly vented is can certianly cause a problem.

Brian

I live in highlands ranch and can say with thanks that i do not live next to you or your dog run.

I joined this blog this afternoon. I received one helpful response, I am uncertain what you are conveying by your response.

Quote Originally Posted by rangercap View Post
    I worked for an installer for a period of time, and we always ran the exhaust to the roof line, with the exhaust pointing TOWARD the roof of the house we mitigated (it had to be away from windwows, etc...). This was mandated in PA, and as a standard of practice.

Brian
    Thank you Brian. It's very helpful to know that PA has mandated practices concerning radon remediation. I would think Colorado has standards also. I think I will contact the Health Department tomorrow and see what I am able to learn. Thank you again, I appreciate your input.

Quote Originally Posted by rangercap View Post

Brian
    That's usually the case with power vented systems because the fan would likely be in the attic since it can't be within the living space, and wouldn't be typical with passive vented or venting from crawl spaces.
    Besides reduction for radon gas in homes can be as simple as opening windows and doors , air to air exchangers or HRV ( Heat Recovery Ventilators ) which wouldn't be vented up to the roof top levels.

Keep in mind the amount of radon in the air is measured in "picocuries of radon per liter of air," or "pCi/L."
    If there is at least 10 feet between houses then chances are the gas will be dilluted with the volume of outside air.

In this case I doubt there is much concern for the original poster.

If in doubt then contact some governing body to confirm.
    Last edited by canuk; 11-29-2009 at 11:24 PM.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Keep in mind that the purpose of the neighbor's vent is to prevent buildup -- high concentrations -- of radon gas in their living space. If all is working properly, the concentration of radon gas coming out of this vent should be at safe levels -- in fact, it should be no more than what is naturally emitted from an area of your own backyard equal to the footprint of their house.

Wherever radon (a naturally occurring gas) is present, it is constantly emitted from open ground but is dissipated by normal air currents so it never gets to a hazardous level. It becomes a problem when you build over that ground, because then the radon that is emitted can't dissipate; instead, it concentrates in the enclosed space of the building. That is why remediation is necessary: to prevent the concentration of radon gas in enclosed spaces.

If I was in a similar situation to the original poster, I wouldn't be worried.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.