+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Soundproofing a room

I am converting one of my bedrooms into a nursery which I would like to soundproof. Currently, the wall is 1/2 inch drywall attached to studs. No insulation.
    I am reading a lof of different suggestions with each one saying the other one is no good.
    I want this room to be soundproof so a baby can sleep without being disturbed.

I read put insulation in the walls won't do much. Adding a second drywall will do nilch.

What can I do to soundproof a room so the rest of the house does not need to walk on eggshells when passing the baby's room?

Default Re: Soundproofing a room

Quote Originally Posted by anon1m0us View Post
    I am converting one of my bedrooms into a nursery which I would like to soundproof. Currently, the wall is 1/2 inch drywall attached to studs. No insulation.
    I am reading a lof of different suggestions with each one saying the other one is no good.
    I want this room to be soundproof so a baby can sleep without being disturbed.

I read put insulation in the walls won't do much. Adding a second drywall will do nilch.

What can I do to soundproof a room so the rest of the house does not need to walk on eggshells when passing the baby's room?
    first I will say that when our boys were little we didn't want to walk on eggshells either. our solution was simple "don't" what we found was if you walk and talk normal they get accustomed to the back ground noise and it won't bother them.

Now if you are wanting to make the walls sound proof, can you? well probally not totally but there are things you can do to deaden the sound. accoustic pannels that are mounted to the wall, these will help dull the sound. something that will work better is to strip the drywall off the wall and insulate the wall with unfaced insulation (faced insulation can act as a speaker towards the side the paper is facing) then use resilient channel that is available from your drywall supplier like csr rinker(probally not available from big box stores)after you install this then you can hang your drywall on it making sure you use the proper screw length so that screws don't penetrate the studs. also makeing sure the "open side or side that isn't attached" is facing up this allows for movement. click on this link and go to the picture on the bottom of the page and you will see it.

http://www.umass.edu/bmatwt/publicat...of_office.html

keep in mind this will only have limited effect because of other factors, such as your door to the room duct work and any penetrations (such as elec. boxes)through the drywall.

a lot of work, I still think your easiest is just "don't walk on egg shells"

besides that walking on eggshells makes a big mess.

Several years back we put in a sound proof room in a comercial project we were working on. We installed a double layer of 5/8" sheetrock. (one layer vertical, the other layer horizintal. I cant remember if we taped the inner joints or not.) We also installed a solid core door. It really was soundproof. Atleast as far as we could tell.

That being said. I wouldn't soundproof the room to keep a baby asleep. It's been our experience with our boys that when they need sleep they take it. I've seen babies sleep through all kinds of noise including band practice. I think I would take the money you would spend on sound proofing and get all the other baby stuff you're going to need.

I am planning to soundproof all the bedrooms. I am starting with the baby's room.

I have read a lot about resilient channel , but I have no clue what that is? Also, you mention "the proper screw length so that screws don't penetrate the studs". Don't all screws penetrate the studs to hang the drywall? How else would you hang it?

Quote Originally Posted by anon1m0us View Post
    I am planning to soundproof all the bedrooms. I am starting with the baby's room.

I have read a lot about resilient channel , but I have no clue what that is? Also, you mention "the proper screw length so that screws don't penetrate the studs". Don't all screws penetrate the studs to hang the drywall? How else would you hang it?
    you mount the resilient channel going across the studs then you screw the drywall to the channelso for 5/8 drywall you would use one inch screws. if the screws go through the channel and into the stud this doesn't allow the channel to move to absorb the sound. if you are trying to really cut the sound then you can also buy accoustical caulk and you caulk all penetrations like where the board meets the floor, around electrical boxes and is even rated to caulk the holes inside the elec. box.

Can I used Furring channels instead of resilient channels?