+ Reply to Thread

Default Crown Indirect Hot Water Heater Leaking

Hello All,
    I am new to the board so please bare with me. I purchased a home in the Philadelphia Suburbs about a year and a half ago that was equipped with a Crown Indirect Hot Water heater. My home inspector checked out the system and seemed impressed with it. Unfortunately, it began leaking about a month ago and now there is a constant puddle on the floor of my basement. I contacted my heating oil company as I have a service contract with them and they stated that the unit needed to be replaced. They installed the unit 11 yrs ago and the technician told me that there was nothing that he could see on them that they could service, and the only course of action was to replace it. In checking into the warranty on the unit it appears that Crown Warranties their units for life, however it is non-transferable if the original owner sells the property. So here I sit with a leaking boiler.

My question is, are these units serviceable and if so, what can be done with them? I am a carpenter by trade so I am handy but know little about heating systems. If the unit can not be serviced is there a better alternative to this system now.

The boiler is oil fired and Gas is not available in my neighborhood. Should I look at a electric hot water heater in it's place.

Any help you folks could offer would be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by Sean M.; 12-24-2007 at 02:39 AM. Reason: typo

Default Re: Crown Indirect Hot Water Heater Leaking

since you are a carpenter by trade you probally know a couple of arm loads of plumbers in your area. and if you haven't pissed them all off on the job, you might get one to come over and take a look for you. being able to look straight at it by someone who is in that particular trade is invaluable.

Unhappy Re: Crown Indirect Hot Water Heater Leaking

I wish I did have someone that I could ask to come and look at it. Unfortunately, I am a remodeling contractor and don't use a plumber regularly and frankly, the last 2 that I used were awful. I ended up kicking the one off the job because we had the job inspected and the inspector failed all of his work. What a colossal pain in the butt that was! The other one just never showed up when he was supposed too. They were both young guys starting out with their businesses after taking them over from their fathers, so I guess that had something to do with it.

Anyway, any ideas?

Have you determined where it's leaking? It could just be a connection. You might also consider calling the manufacturer even though the warranty is not transferable their PR section may be able to offer some help.
    Jack
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 12-24-2007 at 04:19 PM. Reason: spelling correction
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    Have you determined where it's leaking? It could just be a connection. You might also consider calling the manufacturer even though the warranty is not transferable their PR section may be able to offer some help.
    Jack
    I have looked all around the unit and can't determine where it is coming from. I found water between the plastic inspection cover and the foam insulation so I was thinking that it could be the 0-ring on top that is leaking, but that entire area appears dry. All of the connections going into the unit appear dry so I am baffled. As far as dealing with Crown when I called them, they told me I would need to remove the unit and take it back to the place it was originally purchased and they would determine warranty service from there. I guess that's an option but I was hoping there might be something else that was leaking that might be easier to fix. Is there anything that needs maintainence on these units?

Are you sure it's not just condensation?
    You could get some water detecting paste to locate the leak. Here's one site that offers it http://www.channelsupplies.com/paste.htm. If it is an "O" ring that should be DIY repairable.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Well isn't that stuff the coolest thing since sliced bread, I have never seen anything like that before. I will give it a shot.

I don't think it's condensation because it is a pretty big leak. There is about a 1' x 5' swath of water that is constantly running toward the lowest point in the basement which is the front wall. I should take a picture and upload it, but it's too late at night tonight.

I have a friend that does this type of work that I am going to put a call into tomorrow, maybe he will have some ideas.

I'll let you know what I find out. Thanks for all the help!!!!!