+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sewer smell

Default Re: Sewer smell

Quote Originally Posted by kentvw View Post
    You can have it. The forecasters missed one that set a record for snowfall yesterday and we have another 3 to 6 on the way tonight...............New tires went on the pickup this afternoon.
    tell ya what though during the summer down here when it is so hot that you feel you can't catch your breath, I'll take the snow. I can put on more clothes to stay warm, and can only go so far in the other direction

Quote Originally Posted by havanagranite View Post
    can only go so far in the other direction
    There's an image that's going to leave deep psychological scarring ...

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    There's an image that's going to leave deep psychological scarring ...
    exactally thats why you can only go so far in that direction. everyone becomes scared

or rather scarred but scared works too

Too much info. .... I'm getting scared

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    Dan ... you are correct if there is no venting available (or restricted) you will hear the other drains gurgle when the toilet is flushed. It's a common thing in this area up in the Great White North during winter to have snow and ice block vent pipes.

The vent pipes for DVW is important for 2 reasons.

First is to allow air behind water for proper drain function. An example would be if you take a plastic pop bottle filled with water and turned it over to empty ... you will notice how slow it will empty. Now if a hole was introduced in the bottom of the bottle allowing air in you notice how much better and faster it will drain. The same principal applies to the house drain.

If there is no vent or it's restricted the plumbing fixtures inside the home will try and draw air from somewhere else inside the home ... another plumbing fixture.

The second reason for the vent pipe is to allow the methane gas to be vented to the outside atmosphere. Not only because of the smell also methane gas is dangerous. In large enough amounts methane is flammable which can be hazardous inside homes with open flame appliances like heating equipment , hot water heaters , stoves , fire places , etc..

Dan ... you really should seriously consider having your situation addressed.

Hope this helps.
    Ok, thanks canuk, if there is no venting going out now, is it possible to go out the side of the house and put some kind of vent there or does it need to go out and up by the roof to get rid of the gas coming from the sewer?? I will be going up on the roof and looking for the vent but i know something is not right because like you said the vaccume is causeing a gurgle in the pipe when the toilet is flushed. The gas is smelled throughout the house at times so i will need to get something done.

Dan ... you will have to check with your regional building authority as to how and what is allowed.

for example in this area :

Where a vent pipe passes through the roof, it must be protected from frost closure by increasing the pipe size to at least 75 mm (3 in.) in diameter immediately before penetrating the roof.

A vent located in attic spaces must be insulated.

Vent pipes must be installed without depressions in which moisture can collect.

The one thing to remember the vent pipe will have to be higher than the highest plumbing fixture.

I find it strange there is no vent pipe .... unless some unusual remodel took place or it may have cut off in the attic during roofing work.
    Last edited by canuk; 12-28-2007 at 12:48 PM.

Hey all,

I found out what my sewer problem was and just wanted to let others know so they can check. Note: I have an older home, and i have trees growing around my home, i have found out that some of the piping under the floor is bad and roots from the trees have blocked the pipes causeing the blockage. OK- heres the tough question, by the way, we did check the venting of the sewer pipe and was all clear, so my qustion for someone is, If the sewer vent is open, how does the blocked sewer pipe cause water to be vaccuumed out the traps beings there is a ventpipe and has ample air circulation to let air down??? One of life's mysteries or not.??