+ Reply to Thread

Thread: noisy neighbors

Unregistered Guest

Unhappy noise neighbors

Hi, my name is Julie from New York. My husband and I just moved in to an old apartment building last month on the first floor. We both like our new place because it's very convinience to everywhere.
    However, we are kind of having problem with our neighbors, upstairs and nextdoors. We clearly can hear there are two adults and two boys living above us, because we hear loudly all activities they do, even when they just walk and talk. When they wake up at 3:30 am, it wakes up us too. When they go to bed at 11pm, we do too. Other thing is really bothering us is when people nextdoors whatch tv. We can tell what kind of movie/tv program they are whatching to. When they start turning their tv on, it sounds like we are whatching our own tv.

We've nicely talked to both family about it, but nothing have worked out.

Our question is: is there anything we can do or install to reduce the noise?? Please, I really need your advise. Thank you very much for your attantion.

Yours,
    Julie

Default Re: noisy neighbors

Not sure if you own or rent, but assuming you cannot make permanent changes like ripping down plaster to add sound deadening to the insides of the walls, I would look into acoustical dampening. The stuff has been sold for decades to audiophiles first for rooms with hi-fi stereo systems, then later to muffle home theater systems from being heard in adjoining rooms. Some of it looks like egg crate, some come in large square panels that just get attached to the wall like tiles, but with enough research you may find some that are both effective and aesthetic.

You might try reposting your question to so-called "audiophile" or "home theater" forums on the web. Home audio and theater nuts can tell you about room acoustics and ways you might quiet the inside of a room (in their case to achieve THX certification, in your case to block out the sound of neighbors).

I'm no audiophile, but in researching how I'm going to block the noise from the house connected to the one I'm renovating I found a brand of sound dampening drywall called "QuietRock".

Along the lines of fancy drywall you might also want to check out methods of insulating and decoupling the walls to prevent sound transmission. Google is your friend in this case.

If you are in a old building in New York, and you are renting.
    Just Move.!!

It is not worth the aggrivation. I live in a old building in Brooklyn and it is Co-OP, I own, and I have had my share of loud next door neighbors to me, but where else...bedroon. Ugh, could I tell you stories....Everytime she would wake up, Id hear footsteps throughout the apt, on wood floors no doubt it is louder.

Then after I while I figured out that they like to sleep late on the weekends, since I didn't hear any footsteps, banging etc. on Saturday & Sunday mornings...Well lets just say they really didnt sleep as late as they probably would have liked too !!

Luckily they have since moved. but it was 6.5 years

Assuming there is no landlord, management, or tenants association to complain to, and you've asked nicely that they quiet down, then fight fire with fire. When the neighbor turns up the tv, put your stereo speakers against the wall and turn up something with lots of thump and bump. Same with the neighbors upstairs. When they come to you and ask you to turn it down, give them the same response they've given you. Then, tell them you'll turn your "life" down if they kindly do the same.

Some folks don't know just how loud they are, most don't care. Sometimes you have to show them just how annoying they are.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!