+ Reply to Thread

Default bathroom fan flaps when wind blows

The fan in my bathroom has a weighted flap that is supposed to prevent wind for blowing into the house when windy, but instead, it flaps loudly when the wind blows. It vents out the side of the house. It has a set of baffles there too, that are supposed to keep the wind from blowing inside, but those are not strong enough either. I also built a housing over the vents on the side of the house, so the wind could not hit the vent directly. Not of this has been enough to stop the wind from coming into the house. We have a flat roof, so there is no access to the fan from above.

I'm now thinking that I need to put something like a servo inside the fan that will hold the flap shut, and open when the fan is turned on. This sounds difficult, does anyone have a better solution for me? Are there any fans on the market that already have this functionality?

Denver, CO

Default Re: bathroom fan flaps when wind blows

There may well be fans with built-in motorized dampers. I do not know.

You mentioned “servo”………………..

The link will bring you to a manufacturer of motorized dampers. I have used a similar set up for an enclosed patio with a spa to control excess humidity. If you use a line voltage damper that matches your fan voltage you can just wire it parallel with the feed to the fan.