+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Paint. paint.. paint.. dead light.

More questions about an old house. In general, the wire in the house is in great condition, again for those who haven't followed my previous posts is shielded 2 conductor copper like BX from a 1941 cape code style house.

I've got a porch light that's dead, and I haven't had a chance to test the wires out there. (mainly due to weather). I did change the bulbs at one point, and that didn't fix a dead light....

I figured I'd try to test the swtich, but I found that it's painted over, and partially covered by my mantle. I think they may have done things smart, and cut out the corner of the cover, "I hope"..

But none the less, the screws are painted over, I sc****d like many times before with a putty knife and screw driver, but they appear to be striped. It wasn't me.. I swear!

So would you cut new slots in the screw with a dremel, or turn off the power and drill out the screws?

If you couldn't get the plate off, would you cut the corners of the plate with a dremel?

Default Re: Paint. paint.. paint.. dead light.

Update: I took a very sharp screw driver. Turned off the power and used a hammer to gently cut a new groove in the screw and popped them out. Now in the morning, I'll try to cut the cover off. I'll hope for the best!

That would have made the effort a lot quicker. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Any thoughts about what to do if the plate is difficult to get off the wall since the edge of my mantle on the fireplace is covering the plate by an inch and half or 2? Turn off the power and go at it with a small pry bar?

Try a putty knife to lift the wall plate first and if need be .... Use a broad faced putty knife on the wall side then place the pry bar on top ... this will help from marking up the wall.

Use a utility knife to cut through the paint along the outside edge of the plate as well.

If it's a plastic plate , getting it off shouldn't be a problem . Turn the power off and break it any way you can . Hammer and screwdriver should do it . Just don't get too carried away .

Quote Originally Posted by djohns View Post
    If it's a plastic plate , getting it off shouldn't be a problem . Turn the power off and break it any way you can . Hammer and screwdriver should do it . Just don't get too carried away .
    So you're saying that an air chisel and 20 pound finish hammer would be overkill?

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    So you're saying that an air chisel and 20 pound finish hammer would be overkill?
    Hey I think I have one of those, though I use it for setting stubborn drywall screws.

It was a metal plate. Good news is the previous owner did this once before, and their was a cut out in the metal plate where it was covered. I threw in a new switch, and the light works. I'm very glad. Now I'm just trying to replicate the metal plate in a plastic one with a dremel and a cutting wheel. Damn I need a straight edge..!

Quote Originally Posted by JCphotog View Post
    Now I'm just trying to replicate the metal plate in a plastic one with a dremel and a cutting wheel. Damn I need a straight edge..!
    You'd probably have better luck with a hacksaw and a file, or a strip sander. The nice thing is that a new plastic/nylon coverplate is soft and easily trimmed to fit the needs.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Not in my book !!!!!