+ Reply to Thread

Default Conversion of duplex to single family home

I am in the process of buying a 1920's duplex with a lot of character that I would like to convert to a single family home. If anyone has any advise, where to look for information on this type of project or possibly a checklist for what needs to be done I would really appreciate the information.
    Thanks,
    Mark

Default Re: Conversion of duplex to single family home

It's no different than remodelling a single family house, other than you currently have two of everything & an unusual floor plan. (2 front doors, 2 back doors, 2 kitchens, 2 stairs if it's a 2-story, 2 furnaces, 2 water heaters, 2 gas & electric services, etc) Take a good look at the existing floor plan. Can you rework it into something practical & still stay within your budget? An unusual/impractical floor plan will affect future sales of the home, either by lowering it's market price or by making it difficult to sell.
    HTH

Dave

Default Re: Conversion of duplex to single family home

Do the apartments have a block wall separating them? Alot of apartments have fire walls between the two. Also, you need to get a good working budget and figure out if the amount you will put into the project is worth what you will be able to sell the house for if you need to. And when you work up the budget make sure you figure high on everything. And don't rule out major disasters along the way. Do as much home work as you can. Check with an archetect and with local building department. You might have to bring everything up to code.