+ Reply to Thread

Default Little Hot Water in Shower, but plenty in sink?

Hi folks...

New to the forum, but didn't see anything like my current problem. We are having issues with our shower maintaining enough hot water. When we moved into the house 6 months ago, the water was getting hot when the handle was at 9 o'clock position. Now, it it jacked up to about 11 o'clock just to get warm, and only inches up slightly to the maximum hot position. Basically, we run out of hot water within 5 minutes.

However, the rest of the sinks in the house still have plenty of hot water. Kitchen sink is fine, Washer is fine, and also the bathroom sink that is on the same wall as the shower...no problems getting hot water after the shower has run cold.

We've adjusted the temp on the valve in the shower, but it's at it's maximum (120 degrees) and cannot be moved any more. We have an electric water heater that is probably about 6 yrs old. I thought it was just the water heater going out, but that doesn't explain why there's still lots of hot water in the other areas of the house?

We remodeled the bathroom when we moved in, so it's a brand new valve (behind the wall), and all new Kohler hardware.

Default Re: Little Hot Water in Shower, but plenty in sink?

We've contacted the plumber we used to install the valve and necessary components for the shower. Still waiting on a response. I'm not sure if he'll remember the install, but I'll ask him if he flushed the lines.

Not sure what you mean about the hot water system...I think we just have a plain water heater...

The plumbing isn't backwards, it just gets cold when turned towards cold. Like I mentioned, the shower worked fine after install, it's just gotten to the point where the handle has to be turned much further to get hot water now. it is a shower/tub combo, but the spout for the tub feels the same as the shower (water temp)

We're going to test out the water in the sinks after a long shower. We've never run the water in the other sinks for very long. It could just be the residual hot water in the lines. Good idea, thanks!

I think we'll try and get an insulating jacket for the water heater, and possibly the pipes too if they are exposed. The water heater is in our crawlspace, and definitely not insulated, it's chilly down there.

yep, so we ran out the hot water in the shower, and hopped over to the sinks in the house to try them out. The water was pretty warm coming out, but not as hot as it should be. We'll try insulating the water heater and pipes and see if that changes things! We're up in Portland, OR, so our winter isn't that bad, but it's still getting down to the low-mid thirties at night.

Thanks again for the advice!

With running out of water so guickly, the problem may be that the dip tube in the WH is cracked or broken, this allows the incoming cold water to mix with the hot cooling it down very rapidly.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Another possibility, if this is an electric WH the lower element could be out.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I am having a similar problem, and have been watching this thread for help. However, I can't determine anything from what has been posted so far.

Our situation: 2 full bathrooms upstairs. One, the one we use the most, has no hot water issues at all. Hot water runs freely in the second bathroom's sink, even after running it for quite awhile. Water in the shower/tub combo in the second bathroom runs lukewarm from both faucet and through the shower. We moved into our home a year and a half ago and things have worked fine until now. Any ideas?