+ Reply to Thread

Default Steel beam header in basement

I am in the planning phase of my basement finishing project and I have my first issue (of many I am sure). I have a steel i-beam that hold up the house. I'd like to put a non-loadbearing wall under the i-beam but I don't know how to connect the top plate of the wall to the beam. I'd like some advice before I call a general contractor in to take a look.

Default Re: Steel beam header in basement

Are you planning to box in the beam with a bulk head or is the wall going to be the total width of the beam ?

I supported the top of the wall by drilling the beam and bolting the top plate to it. I made the wall flush on one side and a small boxed header on the other.

Sure .... that will work.

Thanks for the advice. I plan to make the wall the complete width of the header, about 6 inches. Since one side will be a game room and the other side will be a storage room the extra insulation will keep the electric bill down. Thanks again.

That's a great idea, I never thought of bolting the top plate to the beam, I always just built the wall in front of the beam and attached it directly to the floor joist. You loose some real estate in the one room, but if it's a 2x4 wall it was never a big deal.

Not sure if you have moved ahead with the basement framing but if you haven't try this: You can use a powder actuated gun with special steel pins to shoot a piece of metal track ( the kind you would use for metal framing) to the beam. If you use metal studs proceed as normal, if using wood studs, a wood 2x4 will fit snuglly into the channel, glue and screw it togehter. This way you can place the wall on the beam any where you would like.