+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default How to clean plastic sink?

Hi,
    My family and I recently moved house and the new house has a large, white, plastic sink in the kitchen. My wife doesn't know what to use to clean it as it gets pretty stained very easily.
    Any ideas what's safe to use, and what'll get it clean? She's tried bicaronate of soda, Borax, and dish detergent. They all work to an extent, but are they safe to use, and are they the best thigns to use? Is it safe to use bleach to clean not only the sink but to pour down to clean the drains?
    Thanks,
    Al

Default Re: How to clean plastic sink?

Okay, I have a confession to make after posting all these years on one or another TOH forum…………. I am borderline anal……….Okay, okay anal when it comes to clean………………….

Bleach should not hurt a thing as long as you rinse it well and gallons and gallons of it go down laundry drains every day.

I use a product called “Bar Keepers Friend” it’s a powder like Comet and found next to the comet in my grocery store for my sinks…………… Works great on stainless and copper pans as well.

Quote Originally Posted by kentvw View Post
    I use a product called “Bar Keepers Friend” it’s a powder like Comet and found next to the comet in my grocery store for my sinks…
    And next to that is a pink can of Gel Gloss, which is a sealer/polish for fiberglass, and will seal the surface of the sink so that those stains can't get in as quickly or easily.

something I've found that will get stains out of plastic laminate like juice or wine are products like Tilex or other tile cleaners with bleach.
    Spray it on & let it set. They stink. Wipe it off or rinse it away when it's done the job.
    The cleaner/sealer sounds like a good idea.
    Can you really be anal about being clean? I haven't run across one that I would classify as all that clean.

Any idea how that Gel-Gloss stuff would work with corian? We now have a corian sink which would benefit from some kind of sealer/protector. When washing pots, we get the black marks from the steel bumping the sink which are a bugger to get off. I lobbied for the SS sink where this would not have been a problem, but of course lost.

Quote Originally Posted by bp21901 View Post
    Any idea how that Gel-Gloss stuff would work with corian? We now have a corian sink which would benefit from some kind of sealer/protector. When washing pots, we get the black marks from the steel bumping the sink which are a bugger to get off. I lobbied for the SS sink where this would not have been a problem, but of course lost.
    Pot marks are a bugger no matter what kind of sink you have. The Gel Gloss might make a difference, though I'd test it in an inconspicuous place before coating the sink. Have you given thought to using a rubber sink mat while doing the dishes? It really helps reduce the abrasion - when you can remember to use it. (we have one, forget to use it frequently ... )

Hi A. Spruce I am glad you told us about the Gel Gloss. I have a fiber glass sink in the laundry area that used to have discharge from the furnace from condensate the condensate made a terrible mess of my sink.The Gel Gloss probably would have protected it but too late now unless someone has an answer because I have used various things to clean my sink and it still looks terrible. I guess though that now I have grown used to it as it doesn't bother me as much but it sure is terrible looking. I wish butal1 luck but there is just so much you can do once it gets that way. Merry Christmas to everyone

Anything that is labeled "for fiberglass" should also work on anything that is made of cast POLYESTER resin. I don't know about other plastic resins.

What we think of as "fiberglass" tubs and sinks only use fiberglass for the structure; the glass fibers are bound in a polyester resin. The working surfaces of the tub or sink are coated with a polyester gel-coat. Under normal circumstances, you never even see the glass fibers.

(Resin is the "raw material" of plastic, usually in the form of solid plastic beads or shavings. It is then liquified either by melting or dissolving in a solvent. The liquified resin is then poured or injected into a mold, or it may be sprayed on fiberglass fabric, or the fiberglass fabric may be soaked in the resin and then placed on a mold. When the resin cools (if melted) or cures (if solvent), it hardens and can be removed from the mold.)
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.