+ Reply to Thread

Default installing fan with no attic access

I need to install an exhaust fan in my bathroom, however I have no way to access the ceiling above it to connect the ductwork (no attic over the bathroom). Are there any other options available to me? I really don't want to have to install the ductwork on the room-side of the ceiling and then build a faux ceiling around that.
    thanks

Default Re: installing fan with no attic access

First a few questions:
    1. Describe the roof line over the bathroom and why you can't access it.
    2. Do you know how much space there is between the ceiling and the roof?
    3. What is your location for best duct installation method?
    4. What type of roof covering do you have?

5. Does the bathroom have an outside wall?
    6. If so, what type of construction?

Replies in CAPS:
    1. Describe the roof line over the bathroom and why you can't access it. APPARENTLY THE BATHROOM WAS AN ADDITION TO THE HOUSE AND THE ATTIC DOES NOT EXTEND OVER IT
    2. Do you know how much space there is between the ceiling and the roof? NO
    3. What is your location for best duct installation method? NOTHING WOULD LOOK RIGHT. IT WOULD HAVE TO BE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE CEILING.
    4. What type of roof covering do you have? SHINGLES

5. Does the bathroom have an outside wall? IT DOES
    6. If so, what type of construction? STANDARD CONSTRUCTION COVERED WITH ALUMINUM SIDING

Ah ha!

Well, you could check into some thru wall type fans that install in the wall and vent directly out the back.

It woldnt looks nice, but I could do that. I was really set on a fan/overhead light combo, but i guess it isnt feasible.
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by picsaro View Post
    Replies in CAPS:
    1. Describe the roof line over the bathroom and why you can't access it. APPARENTLY THE BATHROOM WAS AN ADDITION TO THE HOUSE AND THE ATTIC DOES NOT EXTEND OVER IT
    2. Do you know how much space there is between the ceiling and the roof? NO
    3. What is your location for best duct installation method? NOTHING WOULD LOOK RIGHT. IT WOULD HAVE TO BE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE CEILING.
    4. What type of roof covering do you have? SHINGLES
    5. Does the bathroom have an outside wall? IT DOES
    6. If so, what type of construction? STANDARD CONSTRUCTION COVERED WITH ALUMINUM SIDING
    If the roof over the bath is gabled and tee's into the main roof, you can cut an access from the main attic into the bathroom space. I've done this on a number of occasions when access over an addition hadn't been accounted for.

Again on the bathroom roof line. What is the roof structure over the bathroom? If it's a gable, then you can estimate the attic space by judging the height of the gable above the soffit wall (gutter line ).

By location, I meant where do you live. Cold climates require a different means of routing the ducting, as well as insulating it, where as warmer climates do not. It will also affect the physical aspects of how the duct is installed because of condensation (colder climates ) within the duct possibly draining back to the fan and causing a problem or "leak" at the fan.

Shingles are easy enough to work with (both wood and asphalt ) to install a roof vent. If you've got a gable wall nearby, you can also vent horizontally out the wall instead of penetrating the roof.

thanks for all the help. this sounds like its beyond my skill level. what type of contractor would do this type of work, and what should i expect interms of cost? i am in the northeast.