+ Reply to Thread

Default Stove vent hood vents into the attic--problem?

Hi. I have one of those "old houses" referred to in the hood vents article, where the duct to the hood vent over the (cooking) stove vents into the attic. I don't really want to put another hole in the roof, but will if it's important. What's the problem with the hood vent venting into the attic (aside from stored stuff potentially taking on the smell of bacon)?

Default Re: Stove vent hood vents into the attic--problem?

Quote Originally Posted by sylviastruss View Post
    What's the problem with the hood vent venting into the attic (aside from stored stuff potentially taking on the smell of bacon)?
    • coating the attic with grease residue - fire hazard as well as will attract pests
    • dust and dirt from the attic coming back through the vent into the kitchen
    • increased potential for house fire - both the creation of a combustible environment as well as stove top fire quickly and easily spread to attic.
    • excess moisture not being vented to atmosphere (outside ) can cause mold and other issues (this is a regular question when venting bathrooms )
    • in the case of a gas cook top with poor ignition or leak, raw gas will vet to attic - another possible fire hazard
    How many of these things will happen in real world situations, it's hard to say, but venting the cook top vent into the attic is not a good thing. Vent it to atmosphere for safety and piece of mind.

we have always smelled the attic insulation on occasion in our kitchen and in our bathroom. I was in the attic the other day and found the vent ductwork goes up to the roof and stops just shy of the roof vents. There is nothing forcing the air from the ducts from going outside. There is no seal around the ductwork, forcing the air to escape outside instead of back into the attic. Should these be sealed up and if so, what should I use?

The bathroom vent has about 2 inches open at the top of the vent. The stove exhaust has about 8-10 inches open at the top.

Yes, both vents should be extended to the outside.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

so the ductwork should be sealed in some fashion to the roof vents to prevent air flow from the attic into the duct work?

If you mean roof vents, no they should not be hooked to those. They should be connected to vent pipes through the roof.
    Jack

I see the same type of roof vents sold in the stores for the stove and bathroom exhaust. These just don't appear to have been fully hooked up. I still have the vents on either side of the house. The attic is probably only about 900 square feet, roughly. I'd have to check to make sure but I believe there are 2 other roof vents as well.

Is there a problem using this style of vent for the exhaust or is it simply that i need to have it sealed off to force the exhaust outside and still have plenty of vents open to properly vent the roof?

Standard roof vents do not have nipples (or pipes) attached to connect to vent ducting. They are used to allow the hot air in the attic to escape. Roof vents or vent pipes for exhaust ducting extend below the roof so the ducting can easily be attached. If yours are standard roof vents they should have been installed in a sufficient number and size to match the soffit venting and should not be used for the kitchen and bath vents.

It was a common practice in many row homes to cut costs and run the kitchen and bath vets to the attic. It was not a proper installation but unfortunately was a fairly common practice. If the ones you have do not have a pipe sticking down to attach the vent ducts, I would recommend installing a proper vent pipe for the connection.
    Jack

should i replace the roof vents already there, or cut off the ductwork already running up from the stove and bathroom exhaust and run different ductwork at an angle to new installed vents?

Or should I modify the existing ductwork to better utilize the existing roof vents and install additional roof vents to compensate for the old ones becoming dedicated bathroom and stove exhaust vents?

I'm sorry, but I can't see the vents or the duct work so I can't give you a definitive answer.
    Jack