+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pellet boiler

Default Pellet boiler

Does anyone use or have first hand knowledge of wood or pellet boilers?

Smile Re: Pellet boiler

what would you like to know?

Yes, They are VERY Efficient, low emissions and the pellets are a Renewable resource. Not to mention, you can buy bags of pellets on a pallet for about 275.00 per TON, which will last about 1-2 months with outside ambient temps in the low teens and 20's for an average 1800SF house.

If you have more specific questions, please post them.

Default Re: Pellet boiler

I don't know about the boilers, but the people around here that bought pellet stoves complain about several problems. 1]needing the storage area to buy in bulk. 2]the cost the heat with the pellets is about the same as propane 3] some one needs to be there to fill the hopper so they can't leave on a long wek-end. 4]temperture control is not nearly as reliable as with a gas furnace 5]ther has been some problems with supply the last couple of years. I don't own one so all this is hear say from people in my area.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Smile Re: Pellet boiler

The wood boilers are great and even in the coldest of winter very rarely will your back up furnace even kick in. With just purchasing our home this past summer I have talked with the gas and elec comp. and the only thing the past owner ever paid for gas was $8. per month for the cost of renting the gas meter. Unfortunately they also had a chimney fire (bad one) last winter and cracked the boiler also leaving the wood boiler non usable anymore. But even then with gas $$ as they are at 68* in our home constant we still have only used $35 per month for gas.
    One of my new neighbors has a pellet stove in their home and that is all they use for heat.

Cris
    Happy Holidays

Have you considered a coal stove / stoker / boiler? They have some advantages over wood & pellet versions. Depending on where you are coal can be very economical. We heat our home with around $300 worth of coal per winter. For my effort, it is less "work" than heating with wood which I also did for a number of years. There are versions of self feeding coal stoves that do not need electricity to operate which is something you would need for a pellet stove. No creosote to deal with when burning coal either, although chimneys and stove pipes still need to be cleaned to get rid of the fly ash. Long burn times with coal can mean only tending the fire once every 8-12 hours if you get the hang of it.

I would still recommend another heating source for the times you are away for a couple days, sick, hurt or milder days where the stove would make it too warm in the house. I hurt my back a couple weeks ago getting my log splitter out for a neighbor to use and it was nice not to "have" to load the stove or carry out the ash pan! I just let the propane furnace work per normal for that week until I healed up.

No matter which type of stove you get, you will need someplace to store the fuel. And no matter which type, there is effort involved to keep the stove burning...bringing in fuel, emptying the ash pan each day, cleaning the pipes a couple times per year.
    Also, make sure you get a couple CO monitors to make sure you don't have any life threatening surprises.

Hope this helps.

do you know anyone that sells a steam pellet boiler?

Quote Originally Posted by mojito0101 View Post
    do you know anyone that sells a steam pellet boiler?
    I don't know about a pellet fired steam boiler, but EFM has a coal fired steam boiler.