+ Reply to Thread

Default Galvanize pipe to PVC

My daughters tub has a lego toy stuck past the clean out pipe. We can't get the pipes apart at any of the joints. The house was built around 1947 and has the original galvanized pipes. My questions is, without replumbing the whole thing, how do you attach PVC pipe to galvanized pipe without it leaking? I thought we might be able to cut the pipe, get the lego out and attach a length of PVC pipe in it's place. Any thoughts? Or do we call a plumber? She has a limited income. Thanks!

Default Re: Galvanize pipe to PVC

You should be able to use a "no hub" type coupling between the two types of pipe. Available at any place that sells plumbing supplies.

Oh yeah, gotta add, you should check with local authorities to make sure they are “legal” for your application………….. Bla, bla, bla, bla, bla, bla.

kent has the right solution to this problem.

no one carries galvanized anymore, it went out with high-buttoned shoes, and even if they did, the whole line would have to be taken apart or a union used to make the connections---way too expensive, that is, if you could ever get the corroded rusted threads to move.

fernco fittings to plastic are just about universally accepted by code now.

The fernco fitting and the PVC pipe will be a fraction of the price and a fraction of the labor of trying to install a new piece of galvy pipe .... besides ... It's likely the piping will be in a tight spot which will probably be difficult to turn pipe wrenches.

I agree with kent/Manual/canuk, what they said.

Pipe cutting options could range from a hand-held hack saw to a sawzall with a metal-cutting blade, or a circular saw with a metal-cutting blade (wear safety glasses to protect your eyes).
    Last edited by JacktheShack; 12-19-2007 at 08:41 AM.

Manual,

Almost every hardware store here within 100 miles and every plumbing supply house still carry galvy. So does the local big-box. It still has its place, such as exposed lines that need to be very physically rugged.

However........no one here wears high-button shoes.
    Last edited by goldhiller; 12-19-2007 at 09:41 AM.

Nope, no high button shoes here. Because, most of us here are..............

Quote Originally Posted by ****hiller View Post

"very physically rugged."

dwarf witch and ****hiller: 2 highbuttoned cretins joined forever at the hip and mouth.

"It is what we learn after we think we know it all, that counts."

John Wooden

Thanks to everyone for their advise! My son came over with his sawzall, cut one pipe and the other pipes came apart very easy. He went to the local big box store and bought some PVC and replaced the whole thing in about 30 minutes or less. Cost, under $20. Thanks again! Love T O H !!