+ Reply to Thread

Question Radiant floor heating system

I live west of the island of Montreal (province of Quebec, Canada) and I am considering a hydronic radiant floor heating system as the sole source of heat for a 50 year old house. I plan to install an electric boiler, replacing the existing one which is oil burning.

I plan to lift the existing rosewood flooring and re-install it after (this to improve the mix of light and dark grain). I have access to the under floor of the main level.

Question 1: Is hydronic radiant floor heating recommended for the Montreal area due to cold and humid winters?

Question 2: Do you recommend re-installing 50 year old rosewood?

Question 3: Is it efficient to install under floor PEX tubing in the Montreal area?
    Last edited by hudson; 12-17-2007 at 03:57 PM. Reason: add question mark to message

Default Re: Radiant floor heating system

The best way to get definitive answers to your questions is to consult the Yellow Pages under "Heating Contractors" and get several free estimates of the variables involved in this decision.

I don't see any problem installing hydronic pex radiant in Montreal.

Unless you have hydroelectric power available in your area, an electric boiler would be exhorbitant to run.

Better choices would be a variable condensing natural gas boiler at ~95% efficiency (if gas is available in your area).

If not, there are high-efficient oil-fired boilers (3-pass boilers, or now coming on the market condensing oil-fired boilers).

I don't see the heating system hurting the rosewood; the water temp in these systems is kept at ~120 degrees F., or lower.

In the final analysis, the local contractors in your area are best qualified to offer suggestions on the best heating system for your particular situation.
    Last edited by JacktheShack; 12-17-2007 at 08:39 PM.