+ Reply to Thread

Default Stained Glass Transom?

Our kitchen's color scheme is going from black and stainless to black and red, which I find a charming conversion, with granite counters and marbled floor tiles. The internal doorway from the kitchen to the dining room has a transom that picks up a good bit of light from both rooms, and the stained glass look could be a winner there. I was thinking of doing it on my own. Is the faux stained glass look difficult to do, or should I just hire someone to do the real thing? (Who looks up anyway, right?)

Default Re: Stained Glass Transom?

Well obviously you look up or you wouldn't have asked the question.
    The thought of a stained glass transom panel lit from the opposite sounds intriguing, the thought of a faux solid panel sounds like a bust.
    I would rather leave the transom plain glass rather than block it for an imitation something. The fact that it would be a unique design element would draw your eye to it & something done on the cheap would always look cheap.
    Don't forget a stained glass panel would need to be coordinated from both sides to the room it is viewed from.
    I would probably redo the kitchen and then take a while to investigate a stained glass panel design that works. By that time you'll have color samples to take with you when you talk to a stained glass artist. Installing a glass panel is relatively easy and can be done at any time

I was picking on lunch when I looked up and realized how much light the transom gets and thought it might be a lovely idea. Maybe I'll take your great advice and just hold off on details until the major players are in place. Like after the new range arrives....

Why did I think I could do this all myself?

stained glass is quite an art form. if you find a professional and take them some pictures of both rooms so they know what they are dealing with and let them play some ideas past you, it may be well worth it.

I have to admit I'm not very familiar with faux finishes other than some that are obviously not the real thing that have been pealing & flaking.
    There are glass shops around that offer stained glass classes too. At least a good resourse for an artist if you don't want to do it yourself.
    What the heck, we all dream about what our house can be.
    It's all about the details.

Quote Originally Posted by havanagranite View Post
    stained glass is quite an art form. if you find a professional and take them some pictures of both rooms so they know what they are dealing with and let them play some ideas past you, it may be well worth it.
    I've been well advised to sit on the whole idea until after tha major players of our kitchen have been installed; however, I like this idea and thank you for it. Eventually I'll need to find a stained glass pro in my area... Know anyone in MD?

Quote Originally Posted by DwarfWytch View Post
    "Is the faux stained glass look difficult to do, or should I just hire someone to do the real thing? (Who looks up anyway, right?)"

Faux stained glass is certainly something you could consider, and doing it yourself, yes. It is very easy to do, and for it to look like the real thing, certainly with light coming through and it being overhead a door, one would have to be up close to tell the difference (as long as you don't choose freakish day-glow colors, that is).

through to

You may also enjoy taking a class on screen painting. An almost lost art-form, it was all the rage during the actual Victorian era.

You probably already know this but you absolutely rock!