Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
I have to go with Andybuildz on this. Yes, a Victorian era house was made of sturdier stuff but the second floor was usually built to handle bedroom furniture and sometimes the joists were not even set on ledger boards. You already have a kitchen with the appliances and cabinetry weight and you don't know the condition of the joists, they may have had many cutouts in them over the years do to earlier remodeling. I've seen floor joists almost completely cut out to make room for plumbing of duct work. I think it is irresponsible to recommend not worrying about them because the are old full dimension lumber.
Jack
That's exactly what I was envisioning when I read the post before yours.
How many old houses I've disected for one reason or another either to do a repair or some kind of alteration only to find the beams butchered by previous trades...."especially" plumbers.

In my own house...a circa:1680 you should only have seen the butchering that was done to this place. And it's been here way over 300 years.
Someone added three windows to the eave side of the house and joined together (no studs between them)....get this...never added a header over them. Thats about 15' span!! I took the windows out when
I added on. the entire 12x12 above where the header should have been was cracked clean through and the entire corner of the house was sunk down until it was leaning over. I had to add 4 18" lam beams I think it was after I jacked the corner of the house up. It WOULD HAVE come down on someone eventually!!.........So never say never...RIGHT?!
Always err on the paronoid side...lol.