+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Weight Limitations for 2nd Floor Rooms

Hey Folks,

I'm a paranoid dweller in an apartment on the second floor of an old victorian house. My kitchen is approximately 10 feet by 13 feet, with no supporting walls under the floor of the kitchen (other than the perimeter). What kind of weight will this room hold? I'm paranoid about too many people "hanging out in the kitchen" during the holidays.

Longing to sleep easy,
    Greg

Default Re: Weight Limitations for 2nd Floor Rooms

I had a similar problem in my house. One of the floors would bounce/sag a little bit as you walked across it. A support had to be placed running perpendicular with the floor joists under the house and jacked up to place some tension on the floor to stop the bouncing. If your floor is not actually moving, I would say a couple of people would be fine for right now. I would not have a group standing on one spot, though. Eventually placing a support under the floor wouldn't be a bad idea, though.

If you're in that much doubt about deflection + then call an engineer to spec the loads. It shouldn't cost you much and might save you in the end.
    It's too hard to answer such an open question in a forum without actually inspecting it.
    I'd discuss who would pay fro that with your landlord. I'd think it would be to their advantage as well but....hmmmmm....good luck $$$
    Hidden Content
    ॐשָׁלו

You certainly don't want to spend money on an engineer for a house you don't own. Unless there's noticeable deflection, I wouldn't worry about it. If you do have a group of friends over and notice bouncing or creeking, then move the party to another room and forget about it.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyBL View Post
    You certainly don't want to spend money on an engineer for a house you don't own. Unless there's noticeable deflection, I wouldn't worry about it. If you do have a group of friends over and notice bouncing or creeking, then move the party to another room and forget about it.
    In my opinion saftey comes before money and if the OP is THAT concerned my professional opinion would be to use an engineer and as I said before discuss the cost with the landlord.
    This is a forum and any information without seeing the issue shouldn't steer people away from taking all precautions if they're having certain fears. Their fears may be very justified. Who knows?
    I've seen more than my share of "coincidences" happen.
    Hidden Content
    ॐשָׁלו

Andy ... welcome back ... been a long time.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    Andy ... welcome back ... been a long time.
    Thanks Canuk...YEh..been busy worrying....lol...and trying to revamp my business of ripping houses apart...lol.
    I should post some pic later.
    Interesting developments.
    Off to finish packing the 20 yarder in he heat...echhhhh.
    Better than no work in the heat...right
    Hidden Content
    ॐשָׁלו

Off to finish packing the 20 yarder in he heat...echhhhh.
    Better than no work in the heat...right
    Oh yes ... fun ... fun ... fun.

yep .... work is when it is and where it is.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Smile Re: Weight Limitations for 2nd Floor Rooms

I would not worry about that floor. Those old houses are built far superior to the ones built today, because the dimension lumber is actually full sizes, not 1 1/2" but a full 2 inches. 2X6's or 2X8's are actually that size, sometimes even wider and thicker that normal. I remodeled an old farm house, and some of the material was up to 3 inches thick !! In most cases that old house has seen huge numbers of people, and it is still standing.

It is the new houses I would worry about these days. Some are just thrown together. The new saying is "quantity of work", not "QUALITY of work". No one has any pride anymore, like the old days.

If the flor squeaks, it is just probably loose flooring, not unsafe joists.

Enjoy your old house...It will be there long after you are gone.

I have to go with Andybuildz on this. Yes, a Victorian era house was made of sturdier stuff but the second floor was usually built to handle bedroom furniture and sometimes the joists were not even set on ledger boards. You already have a kitchen with the appliances and cabinetry weight and you don't know the condition of the joists, they may have had many cutouts in them over the years do to earlier remodeling. I've seen floor joists almost completely cut out to make room for plumbing of duct work. I think it is irresponsible to recommend not worrying about them because the are old full dimension lumber.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb