+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default House lights dimming

I have been having a problem with the power to my house. Every once in a while, all of the lights in my house will dim at the same time. Also, the picture on my cable tv becomes distorted. This will usually last for a few minutes and then everything will go back to normal. I've had an electrician come out to the house and they don't see anything wrong with the wiring. I've also had the energy company out to check the lines coming in and they don't find anything wrong either. The electrician said that since it is an intermittent problem, that I just need to keep calling the power company out and hope that the problem happens while they are there. I was just wondering if there was anything else I could do.

Thanks.

Default Re: House lights dimming

Has the power provider replaced the connections to the house? There have been a number of similar posts such as this that have been cured by replacement of the connections at the mast (where the incoming line attaches to the house).

Has the breaker panel (service panel) been inspected to check the bus bars and main bar that all the circuit breakers attach to?

Any power company worth it's salt will have power quality monitors that they can install on your service . This will tell you how severe the problem is , and which side of the meter the problem is on . Contact the power company again and go up the chain of command until you get satisfaction .

Ditto..... to what djohns posted.
    The utility company should be putting a power monitor at your service .
    It sounds like you are well below the brown out stage you are critical low voltage .

Quote Originally Posted by djohns View Post
    Any power company worth it's salt will have power quality monitors that they can install on your service . This will tell you how severe the problem is , and which side of the meter the problem is on . Contact the power company again and go up the chain of command until you get satisfaction .
    thanks for the advice, i'll give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Has the power provider replaced the connections to the house? There have been a number of similar posts such as this that have been cured by replacement of the connections at the mast (where the incoming line attaches to the house).

Has the breaker panel (service panel) been inspected to check the bus bars and main bar that all the circuit breakers attach to?
    i had the service provider out twice and they replaced the connections at the post and at my house. i also had two electricians out and they checked the box and it seemed ok at the time. the service provider says its the house and the electrician says its the service.

I have ran into this before.It turned out to be a loose neutral wire in the main disconnect.The electrician may not have checked
    the line side because the power company usually locks the meter.I would guess the electrician looked on the load side and in the panel.If not get another one.

Quote Originally Posted by d5tanley View Post
    I have been having a problem with the power to my house. Every once in a while, all of the lights in my house will dim at the same time. Also, the picture on my cable tv becomes distorted. This will usually last for a few minutes and then everything will go back to normal. I've had an electrician come out to the house and they don't see anything wrong with the wiring. I've also had the energy company out to check the lines coming in and they don't find anything wrong either. The electrician said that since it is an intermittent problem, that I just need to keep calling the power company out and hope that the problem happens while they are there. I was just wondering if there was anything else I could do.

Thanks.
    I recently experienced the same problem in my house. I called NSTAR. They came out and checked out the transformer on the street (I have underground service)but found nothing there. I then called my electrician who checked the electrical panel and outside meter box and also found nothing. The last step he said was checking out the hand hole which contains the connections for the electrical lines from my side of the street to the lines that cross the street to the transformer. It turns out one of the neutral connections was corroded. He replaced the connection and the problem has since gone away...

That's why the utility company should be monitoring at the point their service feeds ends to your service.
    For example ... in my case the utility is responsible for the feed right to the meter on the house ... and that would be one point for them to be monitoring.

You must have overhead power lines (telephone poles) ? I've heard in that case the utility company does own it to the meter but not the case in underground (my case). I own from my side of the street to my house which is about 100' of run...