+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question How much baseboard?

I'm having new baseboard installed in my bedroom. The size is 11' x 18' with 9' ceiling. The plumber has already "roughed in" an area underneath the front window. He says I'll have 8' of baseboard there. I've been told this is not enough for this room. Is that true for a room this size?
    At first he was just going to leave it with an 8' length. Now that I asked him "Is this enough?" he said he'll get back to me. I've been told by my brother-in-law that 8' is not nearly enough for a room that size. I live outside Philadelphia, PA.

Help! I don't know what to do. He's coming back Saturday to "finish."
    Thanks,
    Jane

Default Re: How much baseboard?

Quote Originally Posted by Jane0218 View Post
    I'm having new baseboard installed in my bedroom. The size is 11' x 18' with 9' ceiling.
    If you're getting all new base throughout the room, then you need 58 linear feet of material (11 + 18 + 11 + 18 = 58 ), and that is provided that you have four straight, unobstructed runs. If there are any interior divider walls, bay window wall, closet, etc, then you'll need to add more material to cover these areas.

Hope that helps.

I'm guessing he means baseboard heat. Plumbers are best kept away from the woodwork

That's the whole room!!! Is that the law or "code" or something??? Yes the room is rectangular - 11 x 18.

Is that the minimum amount I'll need to keep the room warm because he says all I need is 8 feet. He (the plumber guy) said he would "do the math and let me know if he can change or add to what he has started and add 4 more feet. That should be more then enough." But he said "it's going to cost more money to buy more materials plus re-do the work."

... So the most I'm going to have is 12 feet... My Brother-in-law just told me (I called him) that baseboard comes in 8 foot amounts. He said my plumber must have a 4 foot left-over piece that he wants to get rid of. And while he doesn't know if I need the entire perimeter of the room done, he's sure that even 12 feet is not near enough. Is he right??? How much is enough?

What should I tell this man?
    Are you sure I'll need all 58 feet (oh, my Brother-in-law says to subtract the closet and door footage-9 feet total). So all 49 feet?
    Please,please help me...
    Jane

Jane:

Your brother-in-law is correct.

What should you tell the plumber??

Tell him to do a HEAT LOSS CALCULATION before he installs any baseboard heaters.

There is some confusion here about non-heating baseboard.

In order to calculate how many feet of baseboard for heating purposes, you have to in a very rough sense, take the square footage of the room and multiply by a factor that takes into account the amount of insulation in the walls, the height of the ceilings, the weather-tightness of the windows, the number and size of the windows, etc.; I've assigned the arbitrary number 50 to your room, since you haven't yet done the heat loss calculation.

Since heating baseboard puts out ~580 btu/hr per foot of baseboard, you then divide the square footage of the room by the 580 figure to get the number of feet of baseboard.

Thus a room 11 X 18 = 198 sq.ft X 50 (arbitrary heat loss factor) = 9900 sq.ft/ 580 = 17' of baseboard needed for this room.

The heat loss calculations below should give you a more accurate figure for the room's heating needs, but it should be close to 17'.

In practice, heating baseboard is often run the length of all exterior walls in the room, and a control valve on the baseboard controls the amount of heat emitted.

To get a more accurate footage of baseboard needed, you will have to calculate the total square footage of all the windows present, the amount of insulation in side the walls, etc.; that's why a heat loss calculation is done before baseboard is installed, because each room's heating needs is unique.

http://www.bgmsupply.com/calculateheatloss.asp

http://www.heatload.com
    http://www.hearth.com/calc/roomcalc.html
    Last edited by JacktheShack; 12-13-2007 at 09:19 PM.

Thank you Jack.

I found a tape measure and found out the room is actually 11 feet x 18 feet 6 inches... With a 9 foot cieling. The windows are old and drafty. Exterior wall is brick. I don't know what the inside walls are, plaster I think. Not much insulation anywhere (exterior wall, floor, cieling) says my Brother-in-law.

...You think 17 feet is Ok? Or do I need more (in your opinion, I realize you can only advise me based on what I give you.)

But again... Thank you so much.

Oh yeah, If the above information about the new measurments (18'-6"x 11'and drafty windows, little insulation...) Do you still think 17 feet will be enough?

Thanks again,
    Jane

Oh, I'm sorry...

It's hot water baseboard with (Brother-in-law says) 3/4 inch copper pipe. He also said he thinks it's 180 degrees!!! The water, that is.

I just wanted to clear that up. Hope it helps.
    Thank you again Jack,

Jane

Quote Originally Posted by ed21 View Post
    I'm guessing he means baseboard heat. Plumbers are best kept away from the woodwork
    Ah, that would make sense. You see, folks on this side of the states don't use hot water to heat with, we used forced air.

Quote Originally Posted by Jane0218 View Post
    Oh, I'm sorry...

It's hot water baseboard with (Brother-in-law says) 3/4 inch copper pipe. He also said he thinks it's 180 degrees!!! The water, that is.

I just wanted to clear that up. Hope it helps.
    Thank you again Jack,

Jane
    And that would confirm ed's suspicions. Disregard my earlier comment, it was for wooden baseboard - what I assumed you were asking about. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Jane,

Thanks for the extra info; could you provide me with the following:

1) Is the room located on a corner of the building (2 exterior walls).
    2) How many windows in the room and their length X width.
    3) Windows just single pane or storm windows.
    4) Is there a fireplace in the room.

If you can provide the above data we can calculate the heat loss and baseboard amount by doing both the BGM heat loss calc and the Hearth heat loss calc and take the average of the two.

Hi Jack,

I can't believe you're so helpfull... And knowledgable..! I so appreciate all your help, Jack.

OK; to answer your questions: 1) The room is in the middle of the building... Only the one exterior wall.
    2) The window is 6 feet wide (two windows attached together) and 5 feet high.
    3) My brother-in-law insists they're "single-pane"... I guess the screen doesn't count (he just laughed at me when I said "Don't you count the screens?". I now know why he was laughing since he explained it to me.
    4) Nope. No fireplace (unfortunately... I would love a fireplace in my bedroom.)

Anyway, I hope that helps.

Thanks so much,
    Jane