+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pex Tool

Default Pex Tool

While watching TOH 12/15/07, during the plumbing portion of the show, yah'll used an all-in-one Pex tool that expanded and crimped the Pex tubing and collars. I have searched everywhere and can't find any info on this tool. HELP!

Default Re: Pex Tool

I beleive what you are talking about is a Pex Expansion Tool , it expands the end of the PEX , you slip it on a connector, it shrinks back, and you just push a plastic ring over it.
    Check out http://www.pexsupply.com/CategoryPre...D=544&brandid=
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

A Wirsbo (Uponor) system is the preferred system for pro plumbers around here for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that there are no expensive SS or brass rings to buy. There is also no crimping tool involved to wear out or become in need of recalibration. I can buy the PEX rings for about $.07 a piece......depending on diameter.

The hand-tool (as opposed to the battery-powered expander) would be the way to go for the average Joe. Even then it's expensive enough. This site shows a tag of $350.00 for the complete set. http://www.pexsupply.com/categories.asp?cID=31&brandid=

Hunt around really hard and you can perhaps find the same for $250 - $275 new. (Plumbing supply houses IF you have an account(friends in the biz) or they sell to the public at large.) Frequently, you'll also find new and used sets for sale on E-Bay. DIYer buys one, plumbs the house and sells. (Battery-powered units complete with all heads were available here about a year ago for $700 new. Good luck today. <G>)

I think perhaps the tool you refer to can also be seen in this video. http://www.taunton.com/finehomebuild...es/hvt073.asp?

I don't know for sure who makes that particular tool and am not all that curious at this point. The Wirsbo system is my fav, is proven long-term, the pipe and fittings are carried locally (plumbing supply house) and there are no expensive brass rings/sleeves to purchase or carry along in the truck.

If you buy cheaper tools and fittings from your local big-box, don't be surprised if they switch brands at some time and leave you high and dry with your investment in a specific brand of PEX tools which require their specific fittings. Then you could find yourself traveling for parts, perhaps ordering on-line, waiting, paying freight and/or needing to store various fittings and rings/sleeves....or re-tooling with a different brand/system.

IMO, the brand(s) and tools that YOUR local plumbing supply houses carry will almost certainly be your best-est long-term investment because they aren't inclined to anger all their local plumbers/customers by switching brands willy-nilly if company x,y or z should offer them a penny more profit per unit.
    Last edited by goldhiller; 12-15-2007 at 11:35 PM.

Default Best-looking tool "available to licensed plumbers only"

There's a nice video demo of many kinds of PEX connectors at
    http://www.finehomebuilding.com/how-...nnections.aspx

The best-looking system is the one which uses brass rings and a manual tool with both expander and fork thingie to pull the ring on. Unfortunately, according to the video, it is "available to licensed plumbers only".

...which may explain why nobody has been able to find retail info about that tool.

Howdy consider the stainless steel crimp rings as the crimp is to the side of the ring not the entire ring so you do not have to test gauge the rings after they are installed. The tool to crimp the rings is about $40 at lowels

Ladies and gentleman, please take a minute to read my post. For all of you that are trying to decide the best pex and fittings to use, consider this. Pex is manufactured in different grades. Wirsbo (uponor), and Rehau are both Pex A material. They are in my mind the only reliable pex on the market. Pex was manufactured to return to its original state, which is how it is extruded during manufacturing. Crimp rings go against this completely. When you crimp a fitting onto the pipe, the pipe is trying to return to its original state its whole life which is against the crimp ring. Rehau and wirsbo however are always trying to tighten to the fitting that its attached to. Crimp rings are not the answer. I will give you one example to tell between Pex a (wirsbo, uponor) vs. Pex b ( box store brands). Take a two ft section and bend it back and forth as long as you can. You won't break wirsbo or rehau. Pex b will break after about 5 or 6 bends. Plus, you can take the pex a and heat it up with a heat gun and it will return to it original state. Brand new pipe! I would be happy to make a video of this if anyone is interested. Thanks for reading.
    Plumbers protect the health of the Nation

Quote Originally Posted by Tom the Plumber View Post
    Ladies and gentleman, please take a minute to read my post. For all of you that are trying to decide the best pex and fittings to use, consider this. Pex is manufactured in different grades. Wirsbo (uponor), and Rehau are both Pex A material. They are in my mind the only reliable pex on the market. Pex was manufactured to return to its original state, which is how it is extruded during manufacturing. Crimp rings go against this completely. When you crimp a fitting onto the pipe, the pipe is trying to return to its original state its whole life which is against the crimp ring. Rehau and wirsbo however are always trying to tighten to the fitting that its attached to. Crimp rings are not the answer. I will give you one example to tell between Pex a (wirsbo, uponor) vs. Pex b ( box store brands). Take a two ft section and bend it back and forth as long as you can. You won't break wirsbo or rehau. Pex b will break after about 5 or 6 bends. Plus, you can take the pex a and heat it up with a heat gun and it will return to it original state. Brand new pipe! I would be happy to make a video of this if anyone is interested. Thanks for reading.

Sounds interesting, send us all one