+ Reply to Thread

Default Renting-- Temporary Wall Insulation

Hello,

is there any way to insulate a wall without blowing insulation into the wall or removing the wood siding on the outside of the house. Can I put up something tyvex-like on the interior wall that is temporary?
    Last edited by dvrw11; 04-17-2013 at 09:32 PM. Reason: privacy

Default Re: Renting-- Temporary Wall Insulation

You could easily hang some blankets over that exterior wall which would insulate it from the living space. If you want to maintain the window, that's easy enough, just hang a blanket on either side of the window, and fold one up to fit above and below the window. Cheap wool blankets can be had at any army surplus outlet. Resale shops are another good source of inexpensive bedding.

***, these are amazing ideas. I especially like the corkboard idea. Will try to do this!

Another suggestion ... you might check the Owens Corning basement system wall panels.... the panels themselves have insulating advantage.

http://franchising.owenscorning.com/bfs/products/#

I used to rent an old farmhouse converted from an 1850's school house. The *insulation* that had been in the outer walls had deteriorated and the whole upstairs was 20* cooler than the rest of the house. (BRRRRRRR) I had tried to put up insulation board but found out in the end that mold built up in between. Leave just a little gap between wall and what you are putting up so you don't have the same problem as I did. I went to Home Depot to get the foam insulation boards and they sat against the wall well (especially after the moisture built up. Try using a good primer with mold/mildew resistance in it before putting up anything. Hope this helps out too.

Cris