+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Dallas TX

Question Remodeling/Building In Dallas, TX

Neighbors @ TOH

I live in Dallas, TX. In an Area that is Black Land Clay. My Family has owned this house Since the mid 1970's. My Parents Passed away last year and I purchased the house.

The house was Built in 1949. It has a Pier and Beam Foundation. Since then there have been 2 additions to the back of the house and 2 remodels within. What is being used as the Living Room and the Master Bed Room are the Addtions. The remodels have been the Kitchen and the Bath.

I question the Stability of the Foundation for the Additions; because the additions are at the back of the house and the type of ground we have here in my part of Dallas. I believe the foundations are not deep enough to hold the weight of the Additions Especialy when during the Dry Summer. For there is considerable shifting going on, Even after My Mother and Father had Foundation Repair done.

I believe that the problem that this house has begings here with the Additions. (Im attaching photos of various Dry Wall Cracks and floor seperation).

The Sliding glass door has a very large opening at the top when the weather is dry.(See Photo). I am not sure if its the Foundation or the wood framing gone bad. The Front door has a similar problem but opposite. When the Weather is wet I have to fight the door to get it locked.

I am ReDesigning the house in the up coming months to make it Energy Efficent. But before starting any work, I need to konw where to start. I figure on getting somekind of inspection done. Who should I contact? How much should the inspection cost me? I do not have a lot of money, so I am very budget minded.

I Would be very, very greatfull for any Advice or Oppinions that TOH or its members can give me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0039.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	17.7 KB 
ID:	456  
    Last edited by Scifiwerm; 12-22-2007 at 09:43 PM.