+ Reply to Thread

Default Steel Truss Welding

I am a poor dude and a fan of your show. Recently, I had to replace my roof. A local contractor has charged a few thousand dollars to replace the roof. However, the steel trusses he is using, and especially the welding does not seem right. Could you please be kind enough to let me know if this guy is doing it right by looking at couple of pictures I am attaching to this letter. Your attention might prevent the roof from collapsing on my children, and save lives. I truly appreciate your help.
    Sincerely,
    Sam Marvin
    PS:Please copy/paste the links on your browser to see the pics
    imageshack.us/photo/my-images/834/dscn3608f.jpg/
    imageshack.us/photo/my-images/513/dscn3599b.jpg/
    Last edited by stevesdaily; 02-08-2012 at 03:48 PM.

Default Re: Steel Truss Welding

Who ever is doing the welding does not appear to be very proficient. It doesn't look like the units where designed for this job with all the cut and patch work. Just my opinion.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Holy cow! Those are what are called "booger welds". I sure as heck wouldn't trust them. I'd call the building inspector out pronto to have a look. This project is permitted, correct? The contractor is licensed, correct? Plans were drawn and approved, correct?
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I own a welder, but am not a welder. Whomever did that is not a welder, nor should they be allowed to use a welder.

The biggest catastrophe is whatever is going on near the peak. That is hideous and I doubt it could be structurally sound.

I would contact your inspector, and try to see if you can stop work on the project. Surely don't pay any more money.

Jack, A. Spruce, Cougars1996
    Thank you all for your help. Iíll stop work on the project. It is good to know that they are still good people such as you in this world who care.Thanks again for taking the time responding to my plight.
    Stevesdaily

Yikes- just when i thought i had seen everything then i see your photos. Hope you did not pay anything up front... Regional building department code compliance inspection request asap. Hope the area is dried in real good as it might be a while before you can proceed. Why Metal? What type of products were going to be installed on such a steller frame? Steller no maybe unique, no no whats that word from world war two...
    Any an all of my comments are just my opinion and not to be confused with facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Miller View Post
    Steller no maybe unique, no no whats that word from world war two...
    fubar'd?

You're probably thinking gerry-rigged.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks,
    FUBAR indeed.
    Any an all of my comments are just my opinion and not to be confused with facts.