+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: How much baseboard?

The window(s) are on the 11 foot part.

Jane

Jane,

The heat loss calculations vary between 22' for the BGM calc and 14' for the Hearth calc.

Given the lack of insulation in the walls, the single pane window, the high ceiling, and the way baseboard heats a room, I would go with the higher number.

Twenty or twenty two feet of baseboard should heat the room adequately, however, because a lot of heat is escaping thru the walls and window and ceiling, the room could still end up feeling cold part of the time.

The nature of baseboard is to expend its heat into the room within 15 minutes, then go cold.

If the room has trouble holding the heat produced during the 15 minutes, the boiler may not fire again until the thermostat, which may be located in a different room, fires up again.

This is quite different than, say, cast iron radiators that get hot and stay hot for over an hour.

If you can add to the room's insulation, and perhaps have a storm window made for the existing window (that you can remove during the summer) the room will hold a lot more of its heat, and thus feel more comfortable.

You should also be aware that a "high output" version of baseboard convectors exists that puts out ~850 btu/hr instead of the 580 btu/hr of the standard baseboard.

If the contractor you hired has this type of baseboard in mind, then you probably can get by with just a 10' section along the exterior wall.

Another factor to be considered is how your baseboard convectors are piped in relation to the supply/return lines coming out of the boiler.

As I mentioned in a previous post, if you have on/off valves on the ends of your other baseboard or radiators in the house or apt. that means you can put a on/off valve on your new baseboard.

This will allow you to install a larger amount of baseboard in the room, and yet be able to control how much heat enters the room by adjusting the on/off valve.

If it was MY house, given the conditions you describe, I would install as much standard baseboard as I could to cover the approximately 29' of wall space you have in the room.

If you still have problems heating the room, a possible option would be to relocate the thermostat to that particular room.

Another standard approach in these cases is to have some insulation blown into the exterior walls of the house.

This procedure costs a few hundred dollars but saves a tremendous amount of fuel over the ensuing years, and in effect, pays for itself.
    Last edited by JacktheShack; 12-14-2007 at 04:25 PM.

Jack,
    Is it possible that the arbitrary number 50 you used could/should be higher?

Brother-in-law works with my ex-boyfriend who knows the room and acually has some plumbing experience. Anyway this guy (a know-it-all) told my B.I.L that he's "certain the heat loss factor in that bedroom is off the charts..."

I don't know what to do. This man (Plumber)is coming tomorrow at 2:00 PM.

Help... Should the heat loss number be 60...70???

I want to be able to back up what little I say tomorrow. (That is, if I don't chicken out)

Anyway thank you again for everything, Jack.
    Jane

Unhappy Re: How much baseboard?

Hey...

All this fighting is a not helping.

Jack, if you read this can you please give me your thoughts (with respect to my recent posts).

I need heating advise.

I would appreciate it if you (those of you fighting with each other) just post someplace else.

If you want to insult each other, why not do it via email?

Evertime I see someone's posted a new message, I think 'Maybe this is the information I need'... Instead all I find is people fighting.

Cut it out... Please.
    Jane

Advice.

Ok?
    Jane

jane please be patient Jack will get back with you he always has good follow through. just ignore the rest they just aren't worth paying attention to. if you click on his name you can do an e-mail to him and bypass this thread

Thanks 'Havana'
    Jane

Quote Originally Posted by havanagranite View Post
    jane please be patient Jack will get back with you he always has good follow through. just ignore the rest they just aren't worth paying attention to. if you click on his name you can do an e-mail to him and bypass this thread
    Ditto what havana said!

Jane ... Ditto to what Havana and A.Spruce said.

Be assured JacktheShack will be do what he can to share his invaluable insight and knowledge to help.... keep in mind this is being done over the internet ... sight unseen.

He does know his stuff and won't be just reciting information read somewhere else.