+ Reply to Thread

Default Locating junction boxes

Hello! I am remodleing my kitchen/living area into a great room and the challenge I am facing is that on one side of the wall (2X4 construction) will be an electrical outlet and light switch for the kitchen area and on the exact opposite side there will be another j-box containing 3 light switches for the entry and great room recessed lights. I do not have a lot of room in the space as venting pipes from my furnace run through the space as well.

Do you stagger high/low or is there some sort of special j-box that is opened on two sides?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Default Re: Locating junction boxes

Here would be my solution ...

I don't think that you will find a box open on both sides -- and I don;t think that there would be enough room to fit 2 switches back to back in a wall!

I would stagger the kitchen side to the next 2x4 -- it puts it in further, and will miss the other box. Keep the height the same -- in the dark, you will reach for the right spot on the wall, different height will be harder to find. Another option would be to put the other box in further.

You could put an extra stud in the wall, and put one box on one side and the other box on the other side of the stud -- if you put the smaller box towards the opening, the offset will be the smallest -- put the stud with just enough space for the smaller box -- other configurations are ossible, but you get my idea.

Bob H

Default Re: Locating junction boxes

Use a standard 1900 box in the kitchen (4" square metal box) with a double-gang plaster ring, which will accommodate 2 devices (switches, outlets, or a combination of the two). On the opposite side of the wall, use a 3-gang box & plaster ring. The 2 boxes, installed back-to-back, will fit nicely in a 2 x 4 stud wall. In my area (Chicago suburbs), these boxes can be found anywhere...Home Depot, hardware stores, etc, because conduit is required here rather than Romex. If that is not the case in your area, get the boxes at any electrical supply house.
    HTH

Dave