+ Reply to Thread

Default Wall-Ordered Wardrobe

In the November 2007 This Old House issue - "Built in Storage", there was a picture of a Wall-Ordered Wardrobe:
    http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/phot...356252,00.html

I have a space that would be perfect for this exact idea, but I don't really know how to get started building it. Are there any plans available for this specific wardrobe or something similar? If not, does anyone have a recommendation for a good book on building built-ins?

Thanks!

Default Re: Wall-Ordered Wardrobe

That is just a very basic cabinet/shelf unit. There are woodworking books galore on the subject to help you through the process and provide details that are easily assumed or taken for granted by more experienced woodworkers.

What are your abilities and tool/equipment at hand, as these things will tailor the information provided to your needs.

I'm fairly handy, but I'd say that I'm on the intermediate to beginner side for projects like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mowens77 View Post
    I'm fairly handy, but I'd say that I'm on the intermediate to beginner side for projects like this.
    Not a problem, what tools and equipment do you have at hand?

circular saw, compound mitre, cordless drill/screwdriver, handheld jigsaw

Things just got a little trickier ...

Your best bet is going to be to buy the pieces in the dimensions you need rather than trying to cut them on your own. The reason for this is that you don't get the cleanest or straightest of cut from a skilsaw. Jumping back to that picture, that would mean you need some 1x12 (sides of cabinet), 1x3 or 1x4 (face frame), 1x2 (shelf nosing and cleats), bead board or v-groove T&G (doors), and some crown. Add in some carpenters glue and screws and 1-1/4" finish nails and hinges to complete the list. The quantities of each of these items will depend on the overall dimensions of the cabinet.

With these items and that picture you merely duplicate what you see.