+ Reply to Thread

Thread: shakey floors

Question shakey floors

my problem is an odd ball, at least in my experience. I have recently purchased a 1920's built home.
    the problem is that the dining room floor shakes when you walk across it. The main support beam spans the room on one third of the width. the beam is well supported and fully loaded along it's entire length. this is the only room that does this. the previous owners had tied the joists together with a ten foot piece of paired 2x6 lagged into the individual joists. any help will be very much appreciated
    valdo345

Default Re: shakey floors

One solution may be to stiffen the joists by sistering another joist or plywood onto each joist. I would use construction adhesive and screws and this should help strengthen the floor. This of course can be difficult if there are obstructions in the way or wires or pipes running through the joists. You could also add another beam if there is room or strengthen the beam that is there with more footings and posts. You could also try putting in cross bracing between the joist if it is not already there this will help spread the load over multiple joists. Hope this helps you out.

With the support beam spanning 1/3 of the room, with settling of the house , you may have a teeter toter effect on the joists. That is the wall on one side or the other may be lower than the support beam.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I have the same problem. One thing my joists are not centered consistently. Two they are spread out too far. Three the wood floor planks are not tongue and groove. I suspect yours is the same. I believe the ultimate repair would be to completely tear out the entire floor including the joists. Then completely replace the floor. The next best thing to do would be to try to pair up new joists beside your old ones or start at a point a few inches away and center the new ones 16" each. Then you want to make new cross braces between each new joist. Then completely sand your floor and before any finish work is done buy the "Squeek No More Screws" and kit and or use small finish nails with a center punch so you won't dent your floor. You may or may not want to put in wood filler but it is really hard to match those old floors and usually your wood filler will show through the finish. I'm not good on finishes so I just went with Varuthane when I refinished my floor.
    Last edited by dananderson; 12-18-2007 at 12:46 AM. Reason: mispelled a word

dananderson,
    Small finish nails is not a good idea in flooring.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb