+ Reply to Thread

Default Load bearing header size

I am replacing a dbl 2 X 10 header which spans 8 ft and would like to know if a 4"w X 6"h Steel I-beam, with a 2 X 6 LVL on each side would support a 10- 11 ft opening. The opening is in the center of the house supporting a second floor and a 5ft attic.

Default Re: Load bearing header size

I would venture to say it could be done with LVL's alone, but the 6" depth would be a problem.
    The loads would have to be calculated & a little engineering done. I doubt anyone here would do that with out seeing the situation.
    If the 6" dimension is important, an engineers input might be best. It would probably cost $300 or $400 at a minimum for someone to look at it & make recommendations. More if stamped & sealed drawings are needed.

I think that the $300-$400 would be a great investment in your own well being. Get an engineer's opinion before you do anything. Good luck.

cHECK THE WEB FOR THE MANUFACTURER OF THE lvl. i JUST GOT THRU REPLACING A LOAD BEARING WALL 25 FT IN LENGTH WITH 2 1.75X117/8 lvl FROM rOSEBURG. tHEY HAVE A DESIGN PROGRAM THAT YOU CAN DOWNLOAD AND PUT IN YOUR SPAN AND LOAD IT WILL CALCULATE WHAT YOU NEED.
    MILLERBW

Quote Originally Posted by millerbw View Post
    cHECK THE WEB FOR THE MANUFACTURER OF THE lvl. i JUST GOT THRU REPLACING A LOAD BEARING WALL 25 FT IN LENGTH WITH 2 1.75X117/8 lvl FROM rOSEBURG. tHEY HAVE A DESIGN PROGRAM THAT YOU CAN DOWNLOAD AND PUT IN YOUR SPAN AND LOAD IT WILL CALCULATE WHAT YOU NEED.
    MILLERBW
    The problem with this is in calculating or estimating the load. You did say that the opening is load bearing. Obviously if you knew good load figures you would have a shot using the suggested program. Still, if you do it without an engineer's guidance and your house falls in, people could get hurt or worse. Don't take a chance.

Alan