+ Reply to Thread

Default Advice for a very small house's very small kitchen

I live in a very small 1942 row/town house in DC. Each floor is 484 sf. The kitchen is a galley style kitchen 10' (W) X 6' (L). There are doors on each of the six foot wall. The range, sink base w/ 1 foot of counter space and some wall cabinets are along one of the 10ft walls (only 8 feet are useable because the basement door opens into the kitchen. The 6' wall because of the doors and sink base are not usable. The other 10' wall has the fridge and a wall cabinet, this wall is split by a door way to dinning room. On the other side of the door way is a radiator. The only window is in the back door. To get more counter space I use container store Metro carts with the butcher block tops. Because of the narrowness of the room I can only have carts that are no more than 18 inches deep. The Ikea 12" ones are too small. I currently need drawers and have used plastic containers with drawers. Ideally I need to figure a way to get maximum functionality in that little space. I'm not sure what to do.

I dreamed of having a dishwasher, and an over the range Microwave and a GD under the sink, and a new floor.

So far I’ve installed Ikea white cabinets, and vinyl floor self stick , even though the floor under it had to be patched and still squeaks. I added a new five burner convection gas stove and a new fridge. My only base cabinet, the sink base is a steel white industrial unit with one drawer. They are sold with the sink and counter top attached. It came with the house. I’ve modified it to add counter top dish washer under the counter top. I’ve purchase marble looking self stick tile I don’t know if I should put it down. On a lark as a joke I put some behind the sink, and oddly it doesn’t look half bad. I originally painted the walls lavender but, only I seem to like it.

I’ve all but given up on a dream kitchen. Any advice?

Respond here or e-mail me at robbycu (at) yahoo.com
    Last edited by RobbCU; 11-12-2007 at 09:24 PM.

Default Re: Advice for a very small house's very small kitchen

We're remodeling our kitchen as well, so I'm right there with you sometimes with the "I give up" feeling. (I'm currently exasperated trying to find a company that makes one of a kind range hoods.)

Our first house had a small kitchen, a bit bigger than yours, and I'd love to chime in with advice but I'm not sure what you're asking for here. Something general? Specific?

We used a warm, light cream to open up the room and chose to make use of vertical and "non-traditional" space, if you will. We had cabinet inserts, or built-ins if you will, to help us with storage problems, such as rotating platforms in our cabinets for easier grasp. We also had a pot rack, which was helpful in storage, but our ceilings were high.

Also, it helps to keep the kitchen uncluttered, especially the counter tops. Small appliances that mount under cabinets and above counters can create space. However, it was quite an effort to purge our kitchen items and keep only what we needed and wanted for lack of space. Also, I made certain to have a plan in place when I began this project, which helped keep our resources (time and money) in check.

That was several years ago and there are probably more options available to you. As I asked before, what kind of advice are you looking for?

Katherine