+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Crepe Myrtles

Exclamation Crepe Myrtles

We live 250 East of El Paso, Texas. Recently we hired a man to remove Crepe Mytrle bushes from along the back fence of our our yard. We set them out about eight years ago. Two of them (with light pink blooms) grew to be fifteen to eighteen feet tall and reached the height of telephone and TV Cable wires in the alley. Those stumps are about 10 inches in diameter. The other two bushes (with dark pink blooms) were about half the size of the larger ones. Anyway, they were all cut off about six inches above the ground. The man who cut them drilled holes in the stumps and advised us to pour a mixture of salt and vinegar into these holes once a week (for an indefinite time, we guess) to kill the stumps. We have done as he instructed (even though we are skeptical) but small shoots are now growing from the stumps. We hope to be able to remove the dead stumps and plant other shrubs by next year. What do you suggest?
    Last edited by Harvey Acker; 10-06-2007 at 04:37 PM. Reason: misspelling

Exclamation Re: Crepe Myrtles

I think you should use a stump grinder myself. You can usually rent them from tool rental places. However one word of caution they are very dangerous machines to use and you will need someone from the tool rental place to instruct you as to its proper use. Also hearing protection is a must as these are very noisy machines. I would also wear eye protection too. If you feel like this is not for you and using the machine would be too dangerous then I would call a tree removal service and ask them how much they would charge. Otherwise what you can do is use an axe and keep chopping at the stumps until they are close to the ground. One thing I would never use though would be a chain saw as the blade can bind and things can be thrown back in your face or you could cut your foot. Once you do cut the stumps down you will still need to do some digging to get the roots out of the ground and some soil preparation. The roots of a c**** myrtle though are fairly shallow unlike other trees. Good luck!

Default Re: Crepe Myrtles

No doubt the salt & vinegar will kill the tree eventually. I don't think they are particularly salt tolerant.
    Glyphosate (roundup) sprayed on the leaves or poured into the stump holes will kill it too.
    I guess you had hardy plants that just don't want to give up.
    Have fun digging.
    I recently dug up 8 russian olives that had been cut off 2 years ago. I've never sweatted more or worked so hard getting them out. And they where basically surface rooted. A shovel & a digging bar is what I used after I broke the handle of my splitting maul.
    I had such a feeling of accomplishment that I decided to tackle a maple stump that is at least 3 years old & rotting above ground. Well nothing below has rotted. I now understand why maple trees may split, but don't usually blow over. I wish I had never started, but I won't let it beat me. Actually I enjoyed watching a big pileated woodpecker tearing into the stump to get at ants this spring, but the stump in my back yard was bugging me. Sometime I just don't know when to leave well enough alone.

I've had good luck removing stumps that size with a reciprocating saw; also known as a Sawzall or Recipro saw.

They have a 12" blade that slips in the front & is designed for landscaping and tree work.

I would recommend the corded version over the battery version, since they have more power & cost less.

Top brands are Milwaukee, Makita & Dewalt.

But I think you could select on the basis of low price of under $75 if it will be used only occasionally.

One would have to dig down around the tree stump with pick & shovel as far as feasible, then use the saw to cut the the stump as close to the ground as possible.

I have another way but, it's much harder. It will work though. You need to dig them up. It is very hard work. You have to dig around the tree and get down below the main root ball. Then you can either cut the roots out or pull the stump out. I've had very good luck with the pulling method. You still have to cut some roots. We used a truck to pull the stumps out but you could try other things. Like I said it's hard work but it will work. You may have to bring in some more dirt to fill in the hole. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Acker View Post
    We live 250 East of El Paso, Texas. Recently we hired a man to remove Crepe Mytrle bushes from along the back fence of our our yard. We set them out about eight years ago. Two of them (with light pink blooms) grew to be fifteen to eighteen feet tall and reached the height of telephone and TV Cable wires in the alley. Those stumps are about 10 inches in diameter. The other two bushes (with dark pink blooms) were about half the size of the larger ones. Anyway, they were all cut off about six inches above the ground. The man who cut them drilled holes in the stumps and advised us to pour a mixture of salt and vinegar into these holes once a week (for an indefinite time, we guess) to kill the stumps. We have done as he instructed (even though we are skeptical) but small shoots are now growing from the stumps. We hope to be able to remove the dead stumps and plant other shrubs by next year. What do you suggest?

I live in north florida and two years ago I pulled up over a dozen crepe myrtles stump and all. they are comeing back from just the roots that were left, I'm not big on using all the chemicals outside, but I have been mowing the shoots for two years and they aren't slowing down. I say this to tell you that just removing the stumps won't be enough as long as you don't get all the roots, and they have lots of roots.