+ Reply to Thread

Default Replacing (2) 3-way switches

I removed (2) 3-way switches and then lost the diagram showing me which wires connected to each screw on the switches...ugg! I've made a new diagram (see below) showing the wires I need to connect. Can someone say which wires connect and to which screw they connect to?

I have been unable to find any "3-way switch diagrams" showing me the same wire color choices that I have. Also, each switch only has three wires. I'm assuming there's no ground wires. The house is 45 years old.

Default Re: Replacing (2) 3-way switches

The red paired with the black wire coming in from the top ties to the black screw on the top switch. The red and white going between the switches each tie to a **** screw on BOTH switches, it does not matter which goes to which **** screw. Black ties to the black screw on the bottom switch.

Who is the lady at the bottom of the stairs?

Oh, and if there is no ground wire then there is no ground wire do not connect anything to the green screws.
    Last edited by kentvw; 12-11-2007 at 03:12 PM. Reason: add

IT WORKS ...and I'm alive. Thank you!!!

The woman symbolizes my wife who has been so patient with me since I bought this fixer-upper 6 months ago (with no money for labor). Today (her birthday) she will have light going up and down the stairs.

Thanks for looking out for all us do-it-yourselfers!

Thumbs up Re: Replacing (2) 3-way switches

Thanks for the chuckle and for letting us know it worked and your alive…………

Tell your wife happy birthday too................

Excelent links! I now may even brave doing a 3-way for the kitchen from scratch