+ Reply to Thread

Default Painting over laminated pannelling...

GOOD GRIEF!
    I'm surrounded by all types of "wood" pannelling! I just can't stand being in the dark anymore. I want to paint, but don't know if oil based Kilz will do the trick, or if I will have to sand. One room has texture to it, so should hold the Kilz, but the rest I swear are flat plastic.
    Do I just grease up my elbows???
    Also, oil or latex for the paint?

Any reply is greatly appreciated.
    Hastings966

Default Re: Painting over laminated pannelling...

You can paint. But, first you need to prep the surface. I'd try what is called TSP (trisodium phosphate). it is like a liquid sandpaper. (as far as I know it's still available,I haven't need any in a long time). My brotherin law pasinted over his paneling and it came out ok. He used spackle to fill the lines and then he painted. He used regular old latex. It did however take a few coats to look good. I don't think he used a primer. You should. Good luck.

I recently painted the panneling in my basement and am very happy with the results. I lightly sanded the surface and then applied a tinted primer. Two oats of a latex topcoat and everything looks great.

If you don't mind seeing the lines in the paneling, then there is no need to spakle.

I painted over laminated paneling almost twenty years ago, and it has worked very well. I did use Kilz, adding to it the sanding compound mentioned above on the advice of the paint store clerk. The combination roughened and provided a base for the paint. I do not remember the amount added per gallon so you might want to inquire at the store on that. For the paint I used a semi-gloss latex. It has lasted very well; I have repainted since for redecorating purposes, not because the finish was degrading.

Plastic coated type paneling can be painted . Use a good primer. Glidden's "Gripper" is, good as is Behr's No 75 primer. Both are water based and stick extremely well to slick surfaces. A general washing is a good idea, spending special attention to areas that have gotten greasy from hands. A light scuff sanding is a good idea. Top coat with a good acrylic paint.

This question comes up often from owners of manufactured housing, as the manufacturers use a type of plywood on interior walls that has a plastic coating on it that looks like wallpaper, but is not.