+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dead Bolt Location.

Hi. I have a 40's cape code in a fairly congested area. I know if someone wants the can just kick the doors in.. break a window.. none the less in the time being, I bought some dead bolts to add to my doors with windows. A few locks rated ansi 1 that are keyed on both sides.

The instructions suggest 6 and 1/2 inches from the door knob. My door has windows about half way down (at some point I'll replace this with a steel door.. But untill then would you put the lock above or below the door knob?

Above seems like a bit of weakness, due to the closeness in proximity to the windows, on the other hand, a stiff kick or hit with a sledge hammer to the top would be easier, so I'm leaning to 6 inches above the door handle.

What do you think about placement? Above the knob near the windows, or below?

Default Re: Dead Bolt Location.

Above the handset is the typical and preferred location.

Double keyed locks are not recommended for residential applications because in the event of an emergency, fumbling for a key or not having a key at all is dangerous and possibly life threatening. [/disclaimer]

That's what I figured. Easier to get to. But it's at structurally weaker part of the door.
    One company makes a thumb tab that you can pull out and take with you that effectively acts like a double keyed lock, but is perfectly safe when your home.

The same room has 2 doors, the front doesn't have as many windows so it's keyed on one side only. So there's no safety issue there.

I'd rather take the chance that saying to wood be thieves, here take my stuff just break a window!

One day soon, I'll replace the door with a steel door with less windows and throw the double keyed lock away..

Yeah. Bumping is a scary issue, and some of the more expensive locks are easier to bump, or so I'm told, do to the fact that the tolerances in the pins are higher. The lock I got claims to be both ansi 1 and bump proof.

Like I was saying in one of the posts above, we're talking about the front living room of the house, it has 2 doors to that room, so jumping out the main door which has a thumb knob on it should be an issue. Honestly if someone comes quietly, I'm out the window with 911 on the way..

A good alarm system with a horn is a nice way to avoid a quite entry.
    There is a limit to security. It's all about how bad they want your stuff. If they are smart, they'll clip the phone lines, if they are smarter, they'll have technology to jam the cell phone units on alarm systems. It goes on and on. My real concern is just creating a positive limit of making it difficult enough.

If you have other positive thoughts about preventing theft, I'm all ears. Good to know.
    Loud alarm system to alert neighbors. (but we all know how effective that is with car alarms. zilch).

2 things that do interest me are cameras by x10 and the possibility of a xanboo
    If you haven't seen them: http://www.xanboo.com/

A barking dog. Lights on timers.. and?

Quote Originally Posted by JCphotog View Post
    There is a limit to security. It's all about how bad they want your stuff.
    At least you've got a realistic view on security measures. Nothing you do will stop everyone, but you can slow down the common criminal considerably. Have you given thought to security screen doors?

Security screen doors? Sounds cool.
    Right now there are some pretty heavy screen doors, metal frames.. Sort of a wrought iron look. They lock, but the locks look fairly flimsy..

Quote Originally Posted by JCphotog View Post
    Security screen doors? Sounds cool.
    They come in a variety of flavors now-a-days, so you're bound to find something that you'll like. Here's the terminology as I know it, a quick Google will confirm names and what they look like.

Security door - a wrought iron door with steel frame. Looks much like a gate you'd see in a wrought iron fence.

Security screen door. Same wrought iron door and frame with a metal "screen" on the inside.

There's also a security storm door, which look much like a traditional screen door, with operable windows and a wrought iron grill over the glass.

The first two will provide the most security, the latter two will provide the most aesthetic looks as well as function.

Or maybe put a sign on all doors and windows, reading........

All intruders will be shot. Any survivors will be hung.

Reminds me of a Henry Rollins line, something about hanging spent bullet casings from your window... Though at that point, some kid might see it and break in thinking he could find a few guns to sell on the street...

A loud dog sounds like a good plan..

or my sign ignore the dobermen, the owner has a 357