+ Reply to Thread

Default electrical wall outlets

can i just switch a regular outlet with a GFCI outlet? if not, what do i need to do. i am fixing up out mud room and it has regular wall sockets i want to replace plus i would like to add an outside GFCI since i have the walls stripped to the studs.

Default Re: electrical wall outlets

jackmarks .... yes you can ... and the nice thing is every plug that feeds off that one will also be GFCI protected .... which is a good thing.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    jackmarks .... yes you can ... and the nice thing is every plug that feeds off that one will also be GFCI protected .... which is a good thing.

Hope this helps.
    I agree !!!! Go for it.

there is only 2 wires, white and black. should i add a ground rod and attach the grounging wire to this and the new GFCI?

this outlet will be on the outside of the house.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jackmarks View Post
    there is only 2 wires, white and black. should i add a ground rod and attach the grounging wire to this and the new GFCI?

this outlet will be on the outside of the house.

thanks

NO.

That is about the last thing you want to do. Do not attach anything to the ground terminal on the GFCI receptacle. Just tie in the white and black and the GFCI receptacle will take care of the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by asc2078 View Post
    If it is not at all practical to run new wire, one can jumper the white wire and grounding screw at the outlet. This method is not recommended over the correct "2 cond. w/ground" wire but it will at least ground the outlet boxes, hardware, etc. if there is not another way to do it.
    That is a violation of the national electrical code and will not "ground" the outlet boxes, hardware or anything else.

Please do not follow this advice.

Quote Originally Posted by kentvw View Post
    That is a violation of the national electrical code and will not "ground" the outlet boxes, hardware or anything else.

Please do not follow this advice.
    I also agree. Placing a wire to connect the neutral and ground on an outlet is a code violation.
    And serves no purpose.

o.k. i will install the new GFCI outlet with the existing 2 wires.

thanks for the help.

P.S. i added to my profile...

Quote Originally Posted by asc2078 View Post
    1. "I was simply making the point that if there is no other way possible, to obtain a ground, one can do so via the neutral back to the panel."

2. "As a published author and retired electronics consultant with over 35 years experience,
    I doubt that my detractors have any better credentials."
    1. That is simply dangerous advise. To even suggest on a public forum that the neutral be used for, or connected to, any point that "should" in your mind be "grounded" is bad advise. The National Electrical Code approves of several options for "grounding" older systems or using three wire receptacles on old two wire circuits. Using the neutral as a ground is not one of them.

2. You're a published author and retired consultant. Hey, that's great! And, I mean that. You may consider me one of your detractors, that's fine. So here are my credentials. I have a masterís electrical license. I have worked in and around the trade since 1977. I work as a project manager for an electrical contractor currently and I serve as a moderator on a forum for electrical contractors and trades people. Whoopee for me, but I think that qualifies me to have a reasonably educated opinion with regard to electrical advice and wiring.

When I see bad or incorrect advice I will point it out.