+ Reply to Thread

Default Drainage problem next to house

My driveway slopes down 10 feet to my under house garage. Whenever it rains the pool of water that collects rots the garage doors and floods the garage. The drainage pipe installed in 1929 no longer works and the area freezes in winter so I'm not sure if a sump-pump outside will work. Digging a tench to bring the water into the basement might work but common sense says not to. Any ideas??

Default Re: Drainage problem next to house

I think you need a new drain at the bottom of your driveway. Maybe wait till spring thaw though unless it's not too cold where you live. I think you're in for some serious digging. Maybe you could Ask This Old House about the specs.

That's one of the problems. The old drainline went into the city sewer system, a big no-no. The line has since collapsed and can not be snaked or replaced in anyway legal. I can get a sump pump going, but am afraid it will just freeze in winter when the snow thaws.

The drain doesn't have to go into the sewer system. You can send the water to a dry well or a dry creek if you have the space. Both take a lot of planning and digging though.

I'm in an urban setting so there is nowhere to dig a drainline to. That's why I know a sump pump will be required but can't figure out the best way to plumb it. I can install a long catch basin just outside the garage doors and bring the water back inside to a new pump. Is there a type of pump that could work through the freeze thaw ycles of the NorthEast?

The driveway ends 10' below ground level at the front of the house, I can't patch into the sewer system legally at all and there is "0" possibility of moving the water by gravity. If there is some way to ensure a pump would not freeze I'd be fine but that doesn't seem possible.

I have a sump pump outside in a 9' hole in the ground. It does not freeze up in the winter (philadelphia area). Sometimes the pipe it empties into ices up but the water in the bottom has never froze.

What took me to this solution is the following. I did not have enough fall in the property to run my footer drains to daylight, so I dug a hole past the footer depth, ran the perf pipe from the footer level to it, gravel at the bottom, placed a 2' pipe vertically in the ground, pump at the bottom of this pipe lifts water to level where it can drain to daylight. Cover & lock top of 2' pipe at ground level so no critters (human or otherwise) can fall in.

I don't know if this type of solution will work with your set-up but it might give you some ideas.