+ Reply to Thread

Default Drop-leaf island

I was wondering if it would be possible to build a soapstone- or granite-topped island with a drop leaf of two or three extra feet at one end. Would you need to devise some way of supporting the leaf in the down position, or would it still be way too heavy? I suppose maybe alternatively it could be made with a removable leaf in the middle but I would prefer not to have the extra seam.

I am going to be designing an eat-in kitchen and would like to have a large island most of the time with a small table for two a few feet away in a bay window. But with no formal dining room, I also want the flexibility when we have company to expand the table to seat 8-10, and then the island would be in the way unless we could shorten it.

Default Re: Drop-leaf island

If your kitchen is that small I would wonder why you would want an island. Perhaps you could go with a sideboard instead.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Default Re: Drop-leaf island

Quote Originally Posted by tunnymowg View Post
    I was wondering if it would be possible to build a soapstone- or granite-topped island with a drop leaf of two or three extra feet at one end. Would you need to devise some way of supporting the leaf in the down position, or would it still be way too heavy? I suppose maybe alternatively it could be made with a removable leaf in the middle but I would prefer not to have the extra seam.

I am going to be designing an eat-in kitchen and would like to have a large island most of the time with a small table for two a few feet away in a bay window. But with no formal dining room, I also want the flexibility when we have company to expand the table to seat 8-10, and then the island would be in the way unless we could shorten it.
    a drop leaf with granite would be rather difficult not totally impossable but real difficult and frought with problems. granite or soap stone are going to weigh around 22.5 lbs per sq. ft. that is a lot of weight hanging down. if you go with 2 cm you are talking around 15 lbs per sq ft. but 2cm would need more support under it as being thinner and more likely to break. and even adding a center leaf 2ft. x 3 ft would be 135 lbs. which just wouldn't be practical for a center leaf.

actually dw might have an idea with a two part island with one part that could actually double as a kitchen cart basically a cabinet on wheels. I wouldn't worry about bolting them together.