+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Popped Ceilings

Default Popped Ceilings

I have an old house and it has popped ceilings throughout. What is the best way of smoothing them? They are lathing walls and ceiling. I have thought about sanding them but that would be increadibly messy.
    Thanks!

Default Re: Popped Ceilings

Quote Originally Posted by dpp97 View Post
    I have an old house and it has popped ceilings throughout. What is the best way of smoothing them? They are lathing walls and ceiling. I have thought about sanding them but that would be increadibly messy.
    Thanks!
    Bad news and more bad news... There's a good chance that your older popcorn ceiling contains asbestos particles. If so, proper removal will be expensive, and quite a hassle. You'll have to get a licensed removal contractor in to do it.

If it's not asbestos laden, then it's just a very messy job. The usual way of removing it is to 1: mask off the whole room with plastic sheeting and drop cloths; and, 2: wet the ceiling material, a few square feet ar a time - a garden sprayer works well for this - and then sc**** off the popcorn. There's a good chance that after the scraping, you'll be left with a plaster ceiling with either un-taped seams, or a lot of sc****s and gouges. To correct this, you'll either have to tape and sand, or skim coat (or both) I had this done in my 1968 vintage California house several years ago. It was expensive, messy, and quite a hassle to do. The results were very good, though.

Good Luck!
    Jim D.