+ Reply to Thread

Arrow -----------------------------

---------------------------
    Last edited by asc2078; 08-18-2008 at 03:58 PM.

Default Re: Has anyone tried the new Sheetrock« Brand Dust Control Joint Compound?

Nope.I'd rather plaster it NO DUST although this trade is what I do.

Cool Re: Has anyone tried the new Sheetrock« Brand Dust Control Joint Compound?

Quote Originally Posted by asc2078 View Post
    Has anyone tried the new Sheetrock« Brand Dust Control Joint Compound? I will soon be doing some remodeling in an area where controlling drywall dust will really be a problem. If you have tried it, I am curious to know how it worked out for you?
    the problem that most people have with drywall mud is that they put on too much at the start then have to sand a lot. put your mud on in thin layers. then all you have to do is "break" the surface in order that your next layer adheres. I hate to sand! if you are not doing this for a living you are probably not worried about getting done ASAP. take your time. this kind of job will take the time it takes and you cant hurry it at all.
    valdo345

Default Re: Has anyone tried the new Sheetrock« Brand Dust Control Joint Compound?

Haven't tried it, but......
    As stated earlier, there doesn't need to be much dust when using joint compound. Don't apply it too thick, knock off the nubs with the knife before putting in the next coat and feather it out. Minor sanding is all that is needed after the final coat. Some even successfully "sand" with a wet sponge to limit dust.

Practicing in a closet, furnace room or laundry room is helpful until you have your technique developed!!
    Last edited by bp21901; 12-12-2007 at 12:43 PM. Reason: speling eror

Red face Re: Has anyone tried the new Sheetrock« Brand Dust Control Joint Compound?

Yes I am using it mow and it works real good. You have to thin it just a bit or its hard to spread. Sand it with a wet dry sanding sponge and you get no dust at all. If you use regular sandpaper you do get dust but it sort of fall straight to the fl
    oor. The wet sponge sanding is a lot eaasier and quicker
    Good luck finding it I had to order it out of Dallas and freight is high on that stuff. oneputt

In additional to wet sanding. They also have dustless sanders that hook to your shop vac.

I just finished a job in my dining room. No dust problem. Just sucks it right off as you sand it off. I modified mine for a residential vac. Worked perfect. I even did the ceiling w/ a pole sander version. No issues.

This stuff is great, sands very easily and the dust particals are not as fine as with typical mud, everything falls straight down, does'nt float in the air. Much better for clean-up and definately better on the lungs.

I'll be honest I have an interest in dustless tools as I developed one or two. I like to hear what people have to say about dust and what they like or dislike in products they have tried. Which dustless sander did you use in your dining room?
    Quote Originally Posted by Simply Griz View Post
    In additional to wet sanding. They also have dustless sanders that hook to your shop vac.

I just finished a job in my dining room. No dust problem. Just sucks it right off as you sand it off. I modified mine for a residential vac. Worked perfect. I even did the ceiling w/ a pole sander version. No issues.

I used the dustless mud, and IMO it is only suitable for high work, as it is way too soft to stand up to ordinary handling. It is very subject to dents dings and sc****s.
    With the softness and dust-reduced characteristics, it's good for ceilings. But that's the only place I'd recommend it.
    S_M
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

works well and with my porter cable sander and vac they work great, when you are needing to be in a dustless environment.