+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spam

Default Spam

For those of you that use the New Posts feature You may have not notice the Alert at the top of the forum home page

ALERT!!!

As many of you have noticed (it's hard not to, after all) there's an issue with our SPAM filter. Bear with us while we try to fix the filter and get rid of the offending posts. Thanks for your patience, and thanks for your reports. Keep 'em coming; they're our only direct finding aid for removal.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Default Re: Spam

This is nonsense ----------- how the heck can the mods/admin allow the same spammers to continue posting junk spam.

It's getting stupid ----- the spammers are posting spam in other spammers posts.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

when I was a kid my mom used to fry spam

Part of the problem as I see it is how the forum is set up.

Most forums that I visit were started by individuals or very small groups who started small and watched as their sites grew. After a while some members are noted for the quality and quantity of their posts and then are asked to become moderators. From there they may or may not become administrators. But these folks are member users and few if any are on a power trip and are only looking out for the best for the forum. They are on the site quite often and in a good position to catch questionable or spam threads and quickly.

This site seems different. It was started by a corporation and it seems to me that few of the people appointed as moderators or administrators know what their functions should be when compared to other forums. And maybe they do not know the forum software well enough to do much about the spam and have to depend on some computer geek who set the forum up and may work for an outsourced company.

It would be my suggestion that the administration of this site considered asking some of the frequent, good members here to at least be moderators. Moderators with at least the power to put spam in a quarantine area for later review by administrators.

I would also give the member moderators an area where they can discuss issues among themselves and at least give them the option to edit threads.

Seems to me the problem could be rectified pretty easily and quickly.

What ever the decision is........... The forum as it sits is a big mess.

Quote Originally Posted by havanagranite View Post
    when I was a kid my mom used to fry spam
    Dude! I still do! Only I can not afford real spam and it is store brand canned "Meat Product" for me............

Quote Originally Posted by NEC View Post
    Part of the problem as I see it is how the forum is set up.

Most forums that I visit were started by individuals or very small groups who started small and watched as their sites grew. After a while some members are noted for the quality and quantity of their posts and then are asked to become moderators. From there they may or may not become administrators. But these folks are member users and few if any are on a power trip and are only looking out for the best for the forum. They are on the site quite often and in a good position to catch questionable or spam threads and quickly.

This site seems different. It was started by a corporation and it seems to me that few of the people appointed as moderators or administrators know what their functions should be when compared to other forums. And maybe they do not know the forum software well enough to do much about the spam and have to depend on some computer geek who set the forum up and may work for an outsourced company.

It would be my suggestion that the administration of this site considered asking some of the frequent, good members here to at least be moderators. Moderators with at least the power to put spam in a quarantine area for later review by administrators.

I would also give the member moderators an area where they can discuss issues among themselves and at least give them the option to edit threads.

Seems to me the problem could be rectified pretty easily and quickly.

What ever the decision is........... The forum as it sits is a big mess.
    I agree. I think more administrators need to be here. And people who are spammers need to be dumped. I am looking for a do at home job TOH contact me if you want some one to dump the spammers. Once you do that they will get the hint and stay away.

Quote Originally Posted by Blake View Post
    Oh!....... LOL!

I see the spam has been on the boards for over a month now. Are there any moderators here? It should be deleted and the user account deleted as well. For a well known organization like This Old House to allow this is very disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by NEC View Post
    Dude! I still do! Only I can not afford real spam and it is store brand canned "Meat Product" for me............
    mmmm.....dollar store generic imitation processed meat & meat byproducts in a can fried up crispy in a pan. Now that's some good eats!