+ Reply to Thread

Question Sealing Slate Tile

We are tiling our bathroom walls around the tub surround area where we will be installing an old fashioned clawfoot tub & the entire bathroom floor with slate tile. We were told that we will need to seal the slate as it a porous.

My questions is: Do I use a water based or petroleum based sealant? Which one will last longer? The stores that carry one type or the other both claim that their product is better and longer lasting. Can you help? thanks Jean & Nathan

Default Re: Sealing Slate Tile

Quote Originally Posted by linjm View Post
    We are tiling our bathroom walls around the tub surround area where we will be installing an old fashioned clawfoot tub & the entire bathroom floor with slate tile. We were told that we will need to seal the slate as it a porous.

My questions is: Do I use a water based or petroleum based sealant? Which one will last longer? The stores that carry one type or the other both claim that their product is better and longer lasting. Can you help? thanks Jean & Nathan
    If you find a good answer for that then you will have setteled a debate that has long gone on in the stone community for years. you will probally get a better sealer if you go to granquartz.com then what you can buy in a store.