+ Reply to Thread

Default Dead circuit problem

Hello!
    This is my first post and question. I sure hope someone can figure this one out!! I woke up a couple mornings ago and found a circuit out. I have checked the following: First I checked to see if breaker had popped. It haden't. I bought and installed a new, proper breaker just in case. I visually inspected all outlets and light fixtures for loose or broken wires by pulling out the fixture or outlet and eyeballing it. I have checked continuity between hot and ground, and between ground and common on all affected wall outlets. I have checked continuity between the dead black wire (disconnected) at the breaker box and all outlets and light fixtures affected (with my multi-meter and a really long wire). I have no continuity at any of those. I tried one of those $5 plug-in testers, but without power at the outlet, of course it wouldn't work. There is 115 across the breaker and all other circuits are fine. The 220 is ok also. Any other tests I can do?
    THANK YOU!

Default Re: Dead circuit problem

It sounds like you're missing something on the circuit or you have a broken wire. Did you also check the switches? Are the wires on the srews or in the stab connectors?
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I didn't see where you had removed any light switches and checked for a failed connection at a wire nut connection. Depending on how your house is wired you may have junction connections inside a light switch box.

It's a common thing for folks to cut into the copper when stripping the insulation from the wire. When the wire gets twisted in a wire nut they can sometimes break off.
    Another problem area is when the wires are pushed into the connecting holes for receptacles instead of using the securing screws the wires can break there.

All it would take is for a wire to be broken at one of these connections at the beginning of the circuit to affect everything else on that circuit.

This would be one guess.

Geez ... again Jack you sneaked in ... you are a fast typer.

Quote Originally Posted by DwarfWytch View Post
    Of course if one of those outlets near the panel was a GFCI outlet, wired to protect the outlets that followed, and it were tripped, that would explain the open circuit. Some of these have a lock-out function, so attempts to reset them, if there is a wiring error, will not be sucessful in closing the circuit.

Are your receptacles wired with pigtails or thru-wired?
    I too was going to post that you may have a GFCI leading the parade.

DW and Ernie, excellent point about the GFCI, sometimes the most obvious cause is over looked.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb