+ Reply to Thread
    Alfetta159 Guest

Default Removing latex paint from door hardware.

I once heard of a product that is used to remove paint from door hardware such as hinges and door knobs. It was just described as a product where you diluted it in water, placed the hardware in the solution and then moderately heated it. I think I saw it on Hometime. Any one (actually) used this?

I've also heard that you can use a detergent, but I don't recall whether it was laundry detergent or dishwashing detergent for that matter. Any one (actually) tried this, or even heard of it?

Yes, I know other techniques such as isopropyl alchohol or the old standby paint removers, so spare me the suggestions that are outside of the scope of these questions.

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Removing latex paint from door hardware.

There was a segment on TOH’s Austin project on removing paint from hardware. They “cooked” the hardware in an old crock pot in water with a little fabric stain remover. They didn’t say what stain remover or how much but this is something you could experiment with on your own. Or maybe the people at TOH could get the recipe. I bet a lot of people would appreciate that. After the hardware had cooked they pulled it out and gently sc****d the paint off with a razor blade. It looked like it came off really easily.
    Last edited by SherryH; 08-05-2007 at 01:19 AM.

Alfetta159 Guest

That was it! Thanks.

TOH, Hometime, Over Your Head...

It's all just a blur sometimes...

One more thing I forgot....

They cooked the hardware for about 30 minutes.

I have done this with our hardware according to TOH article: In the crockpot with dishwashing liquid over night. With a little rubbing off with it works great! I just need to get on with the rest of the hardware.

rdsingerhd

I don't know about latex, but a half-cup of Mr. Clean in a half-gallon of water worked great to removed a heavy layer of crud and varnish off my kitchen cupboard hinges.
    I thought the hinges were brass when I removed them in preparation for painting the doors. They soaked in the mix for about 2 days while the paint dried, and when I rinsed them off, the goop just fell off to reveal shiny chrome - a perfect match to the spoons I am using as drawer pulls and cupboard handles!

I've used the laundry detergent in the crockpot overnight method. (I also saw someone use an electric wok on a houseblog.) Works like magic.

For detail cleaning, get a brass brush attachment for a Dremel rotary tool or a brass brush from the plumbing dept. of a big-box store.

If you want, you can see my step by step and results at my houseblog.

I tried this with my brass hardware. 6 hours in the crock pot with water and dish soap. worked great. don't know if the needed the 6 hours, but it worked. paint came off the hardware with a dish rag. the wife wasn't happy about loosing a crock pot and dish rag. oh well.