+ Reply to Thread

Default Looking for tiles

We are looking for a wall tile we have been using as a backsplash in our kitchen. It is called Bravo Grey, a tumbled tile in 6"X12" sheets from a company in Thailand named Cotto Tiles. We bought the tile at Home Depot a couple of years ago but foolishly, we didn't buy enough to finish the job. Now, they no longer handle it. I have emailed the company three times, but no answers!

We are in Winnipeg, Canada and want to know if anyone knows where we can get this tile in Canada or the northern U.S.

Cheers;
    Buzz from cold, snowy Winnipeg

Default Re: Looking for tiles

You are likely out of luck, as decorative tile design changes with the wind direction. Anything you purchased a couple years ago, especially from a box store, is not likely available anymore from any resource.

What I would do is find a complimenting tile and integrate that in with what you already have (assuming that the original isn't already installed and you have a single "patch" to fill in). It's not likely that any of the big boxes will have anything like this anymore, so go to tile suppliers such as Bedrosian and Dal-Tile. Home depot's "generic" stock, that is to say standard basic tile, is Dal-Tile anyway, so you might as well go to the source. I know you said your tile is from another company, but as mentioned, it isn't likely you're going to find a match, the best you can hope for is similar and complimentary.

Hope this helps

Thanks, A. Spruce.

I have finally heard from the company and they tell me the tile was only handled by Home Depot (Canada) and it has been discontinued by them. They have no other options for me.

We are already looking around local tile stores to see if we can find something to work into the situation. Otherwise, we are considering finding something else and starting over! Lesson learned? Make sure you have enough to finish the job when you begin!

Cheers.

I would add that not only get enough to finish the job, but get some extra for repairs,etc.

Quote Originally Posted by lcrooks View Post
    Thanks, A. Spruce.

I have finally heard from the company and they tell me the tile was only handled by Home Depot (Canada) and it has been discontinued by them. They have no other options for me.

We are already looking around local tile stores to see if we can find something to work into the situation. Otherwise, we are considering finding something else and starting over! Lesson learned? Make sure you have enough to finish the job when you begin!

Cheers.
    or you could just e-mail the company in thiland and see what you can work out straight with them. they may have someone else they are dealing with who you could get the tile from.

Email: info@cottotiles.com

they are showing that tile on their web site.
    http://www.cottotiles.com/index.php

Thanks for the pointers. I have contacted the company in Thailand and they tell me they have no one on this continent that can help me. Sucks, doesn't it? I am thinking the cost of shipping from a distributor in Australia or England would be more than the price of starting over! Fortunately, it is not a large area and we can do that. It is just that we really liked the tile. Oh well!

Don't know how you folks in Florida are doing weather-wise, but it's gotta be better then here (I am in Winnipeg, Canada). The temperature is about -28 Celcius (about 20 below in American) and the wind-chill is upwards of 40 below, and that's the same in both languages!! (Wind chill is like a humidex rating. It calculates the impact of the wind on the rate of cooling, much like the rate of humidity impacts temperature effects.)

This part of Canada is wild when it comes to weather. Summer tempatures can reach 100F and winter can be down to -40F. Talk about climate change!

Sorry about straying away from the tile thing.

Lloyd: Winnipeg, Canada

Thanks for the suggestions. I have been working on "our old house" for 30 years now. It was built in 1926 and has a lot of character. But finding stuff to match (wood work, for example) and to fit in with the design is not always easy, as I am sure you know. Stairway ballisters for example. To have new ones turned (a lot of the old ones are broken) is an expensive proposition since they are not available off-the-shelf.

But, we learn as we go along. Sometimes we just get a little careless.

Thanks;
    Lloyd (AKA Buzz) from Winnipeg