+ Reply to Thread

Default Tankless Hot Water Heater

I have been trying to get a tankless hot water heater - Bosch 125 Natural Gas installed for quite some time (more than 2 years). This model is sold at Home Depot and does not require power ventilation. It would be vented thru the same stack as the furnace which is where the present 40 gal hot water heater is vented. I live in Maryland and have had no sucess in finding someone who can do the installation. I am beginning to run out of time, because my present hot water heater is at the end of it's life expectancy. I would appreciate any help in locationg someone to install this for me.

Today I contacted Baltimore Gas and Electric Home Services and they told me installation would run between $2700 and $3100. Why can I not find anyone to install this item?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by GeorgeVincent; 12-04-2007 at 04:07 PM. Reason: spelling

Default Re: Tankless Hot Water Heater

George,

Iím not sure how it works in the plumbing contractorís world, especially residential. I can tell you that as an electrical contractor I shy away from jobs where material is supplied by the customer. Part of a jobs profitability hinges on the mark up I can put on material. I wonder if you would have more success if you would specify the heater you want and play dumb to the fact that you know exactly what it is worth, and then request that they provide and install the heater.

Just my .02

and probally what you will find is really you won't pay more for the unit, the reason being is that the contractor buys it through his supplier at a lower rate and then his mark up brings it back to the price that you would pay for it. which gives him a little better profit margin and this is only fair because thats the way he makes his living. and for you its better because if there is a problem with the product with you buying it he charges you again, where as if he supplies the product and there is a problem it is his problem.

If Homedepot doesn't have contract installers for the product they should not have sold it to you. IMHO. Most contractors shy away from installing customer bought equipment because they didn't make any money on it and because once they touch it they generally end up owning it if there is any problems.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb