+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy Leaking Chimney!

My wife and I recently purchased a historic home (200+ years old) in north central PA. The large chimney in the living room drips water during any rain. I have looked at the stone cap; it has a slight concave surface to the top, but not cracked.

The "liner" (stone and mortar) was cleaned by a sweep earlier this year; he couldn't give me a clear answer as to the condition of the flue!

I need to solve the leaking problem first--any thoughts? We want to use the fireplace as it is wonderful--complete with warming oven, but I want to be assured that it's intact.

Help!

Default Re: Leaking Chimney!

You may want to start by checking out this site and watching the videos- http://www.csia.org/
    What is probably happening is wind driven rain is blowing in under the cap, a common problem for large chimneys.
    With one that old the first thing to do is get it inspected buy a professional who can make recommendations of remedies for any problems before you ever use it. It would be a shame to burn the house down.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Default Re: Leaking Chimney!

Tom,

Does the water leak right down the interior of the chimney.....or down the outside of the chimney where it passes thru the roof/ceiling?

Any chance of crawling up there and getting a couple pics of the cap ..... and all sides of the area where the chimney emerges thru the roof.....and the chimney in general?

If it leaks on the outside of the chimney......a pic of the roof area above the chimney might be in order also.