+ Reply to Thread

Default Garage Insulation

I'd like to hear from people who have insulated their garages. I'd like to know what kind of garage you have and how you insulated it. Also, is it a worthy undertaking?

Default Re: Garage Insulation

I think it depends on how you use your garage. Do you want it heated and live in a cold climate? I guess then it would depend on how often you heated it and to what degree on whether it would be worth it.

My current two car garage is under my home and not heated but is insulated and shares a wall with the basement where the furnace resides. It’s great in the winter because no matter how cold it gets outside my vehicle stays above freezing over night so is melted off of any ice or snow accumulated from the day before by the time I leave in the morning and it only takes a few minutes for the truck interior to warm up.

My last garage was the same way and I had a ceiling hung forced air unit heater for winter projects.

Helped a friend with a free standing garage/shop and it is insulated and heated as well. It’s become a Saturday or Sunday afternoon hang out spot to polish Harley’s and watch the game…………………. LOL. Well worth the effort IMHO.

I insulated with fiberglass & it was worth it. I don't heat it, but it stays cooler in the summer & warmer in the winter.
    It is attached to the house on 2 sides & when the doors are shut it stays above freezing. Usually the temp. in the garage is about 40 when it may be 30 or below outside. I'm in Md. so the winters are not that severe. Lows not more than 20 or teens usually.
    I am able to overwinter annual plants in pots that we put on the deck in the summer like begonias and a lemon tree.

Did you do anything to insulate the garage door? Replacing our original wood door with another wood door and looking for ideas on insulating it.