+ Reply to Thread

Default Venting Dryer through foundation?

My husband and I are currently in the design phase of our basement remodel.
    We currently have a dryer that is vented through a basement window in a hacked-together way. We'd like to move the dryer, but it would then no longer be next to the window where it currently vents.
    How feasible is it to vent the dryer through the wall of our foundation? Or is there some other mechanism and ductwork that we would have to put in to vent it through an upper level?
    Appreciate any advice. Our contractor could not help us think of a way to do this!

Default Re: Venting Dryer through foundation?

I have to ask if you have access to your rim joist? I am guessing not, since I would think your contractor would have suggested this.

But, you never know these days.....

Quote Originally Posted by bp21901 View Post
    I have to ask if you have access to your rim joist? I am guessing not, since I would think your contractor would have suggested this.

But, you never know these days.....
    I would ask exactly the same question. I can't really picture a situation where you wouldn't.

Ok, I think found an image of what you're referring to re: a rim joist - something like this - see below? I guess the problem is that our basement actually has a finished semi-finished-ceiling despite the rest of the basement not being finished, so I'm not sure we do have access to the rim joist. We do not see the joists from the floor above when we're in the basement.

That is exactly it.
    It still might be easier to access this area above your dryer to go through the rim joist rather than go through your concrete or block basement wall. For me, its easier to make a clean cut through wood rather than concrete.

Certainly not trying to judge someone from so far away, however....I'd be a little suspicious of your contractor at this point if he/she could not think of a way to make this happen as you mentioned in the first post?!
    Last edited by bp21901; 12-03-2007 at 05:09 PM. Reason: brain to typing filter didn't pick up harshness factor

Just my opinion but if that is the case then I would open up and then repair enough of the ceiling to run it out like the picture rather than going through the foundation. It would probably be both cheaper and easier than having the foundation wall core drilled.

If you have a common point the measure from , like a window, you can measure and cut the hole on the rim joist from the outside then cut a proper sized hole in the finished ceiling.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thanks for all the advice, all SO helpful!
    I think we'll do exactly that - measure from the outside and figure where it will end up on the inside. I really appreciate all the info!