+ Reply to Thread

Thread: lower a 12 foot

Default lower a 12 foot

i am buying a old house that has twelve foot ceilings.i was wanting to know how to lower them to ten foot.

Default Re: lower a 12 foot

Not to be smart, but why buy a house with 12 foot ceilings if you don't want 12 foot ceilings and why lower to 10 feet?
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Wink Re: lower a 12 foot

because its a two storyhouse and lowering the ceiling would help on the heating and cooling bill.

Howdy, consider installing a recessed ledger board usually a 1by4 into the wall studs( assuming 2by6 studs then installing the new ceiling joists on these nailing the new joists to the wall studs ... this is how balloon installs ceiling joists. Or you can lag bolt a 2by6 or 8 to the studs and use joist hangers. There are span joist calculators on the web to tell ya the maximum span for the size and type of wood. I am doing this to my grand old home and installing r/22 insulation in the ceiling void. Again to cut down on the heating costs.

I think you are going to be disappointed in the savings that you are planning on. You should get the total picture on heating and cooling for the house first. One of those infrared video cameras can show you where your heat losses are the worse and put your money there.

Charles Wing, in his book "From the Walls In" says that the insulation in most old houses are like a piece of swiss cheese, full of holes. Renovators/homeowners usually add more swiss cheese and end up disappointed with the results. The IR video camera will show you where the holes are and can save you a lot of money.

The reason lowering the ceilings usually doesn't work is that the band of wall space being "taken out" doesn't have windows or doors. Windows and doors generally account for about 40% of your total heat loss, the walls account for about 20%. The ceiling/roof accounts for most of what's left. Going from 12' to 10' high walls will reduce your total wall area by about 25% (deducting windows and doors), so you are looking for a total savings of 5% of your total heat loss.

I think that an upgrade of windows and or doors will give you a better payback on investment. You will love those 12' ceiling next summer.

I agree with the above post. Adding properly working ceiling fans will do a lot more than lowering the ceiling and you will still be conditioning the space between the new ceiling and the old.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Yep ---- I agree with Keith and Jack.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush